Can someone explain to me how a minor degree works?

In summary, a minor is a concentration of elective courses in a subject field that is awarded as part of an undergraduate education. It is not usually enough to qualify for graduate study in that field, but can make a student more marketable in the job market. Not all schools offer minors and some may have different rules for awarding them.
Pattonias
I was thinking about looking at getting a minor in another branch of study and I don't really understand what this means in regards to your overall education. Whenever I try to research minor degrees I either find a website that tries to sell me one or a site that assumes you already know what one is. I guess for a clearer question I want to know how a minor compairs to a bachelors. Is it an associates degree in another field?

Thank you

Physics news on Phys.org
In general a minor is awarded as part of an undergraduate education as a recognition of the concentration of what are generally elective courses in a subject field. It usually does not constitute enough concentration to qualify one for graduate study in that field (an exception might be something like a mathematics major coupled with a physics minor being acceptable for graduate admissions to physics).

Some students elect to pursue a minor to develop a more marketable skill set, for example coupling an engineering major with a minor in business management, or a humanities major with a minor in computer science. If you go into education, a minor may qualify you to teach more subjects, similarly making you more employable. Other students simply find they have enough interest in a subject that they elect to have that recognized as a part of their degree.

Not all schools will award minors, or may have different rules for awarding them. At my undergraduate institution for example, one could not be awarded a minor in math if one majored in physics because the core courses in physics essentially met the requirements for a minor in math. Lots of other schools award this anyway.

Thank you so much, that makes a lot of sense.

1. What is a minor degree?

A minor degree is a secondary area of study that is chosen in addition to a student's major degree. It typically requires fewer credits than a major and is often in a different subject area.

2. How does a minor degree differ from a major degree?

A major degree is the primary area of study that a student focuses on, while a minor degree is a secondary area of study that complements the major. Major degrees typically require more credits and are the primary focus of a student's academic career.

3. Can anyone pursue a minor degree?

Yes, anyone who is enrolled in a college or university can pursue a minor degree. However, some institutions may have specific requirements or restrictions for minors, so it is important to check with your school's academic advisors.

4. How do I choose a minor degree?

Choosing a minor degree is a personal decision and should be based on your interests and career goals. It is also important to consider how a minor degree will complement your major and enhance your overall education.

5. Do I need to declare a minor degree?

Yes, in most cases you will need to declare a minor degree in order to officially add it to your academic record. This can usually be done through your school's registration or academic advising office. Keep in mind that some institutions may have specific deadlines or requirements for declaring a minor degree.