Mythbusters like jobswhat are thay?

• Thread starter rotorhead
  • Start date
In summary, the person is looking for a job in the aviation industry, and is concerned about the academic requirements. They mention that they are not ready for a four year degree, but might be interested in a two year program that leads to a position that is always changing. They like working with their hands, and outdoors or indoors when conditions are not warranted to work outdoors.
rotorhead
Hi everyone,

I am a mature person who is mid life and has been in at least three different careers. My Myers-Brigs state I am a INTP personality type. With my colors stating that I am a Green,Orange,Gold,Blue.

I have been a helicopter tech in the USAF, a avionics graduate from a civilian FCC certified program. When the aviation sector crashed in the 90s, worked as a auto mechanic. I have worked in the fields of IT testing and IT support for a number of years but it was boring!.

So, I have always enjoyed mythbusters series and thought, I would love to do similar work like that! . And I was wondering what types of material stress testing jobs are there in the industry? I imagine, working for a DOD civilian contractor would be the way to go and a university degree may be required.

I currently live up here in Vancouver BC. The academic requirements are a bit different. There are programs that can teach students in the area of Technologist. A technologist is between a mechanic/technician and that of a engineer.

So would like to get your input in this area. I am not ready for a four year degree, but perhaps two year program that can lead me into a position that is always changing.

I like working with my hands, and outdoors or indoors when conditions are not warranted to work outdoors , or in a open environment like a hanger.

Your response is much appreciated!

Physics news on Phys.org
Try to get a job with 'Mythbusters'

In other words, go right to the source. Problem solved.

rotorhead said:
Hi everyone,

I am a mature person who is mid life and has been in at least three different careers. My Myers-Brigs state I am a INTP personality type. With my colors stating that I am a Green,Orange,Gold,Blue.

My goodness! Please please don't tell me you are basing your career or life decisions on this pseudo scientific nonsense! A myth worth busting in it's own right. You are whatever you are, why is this relevant?

I don't really think there are any Mythbuster-like jobs. I know the guys have a background in Hollywood special effects so you might want to look into that. Really though from the sounds of it I bet you'd be happy to be an engineer.

I hope you get better responses. The two above clearly didn't read your post.

Have you ever heard of quality control? Google it, this may be what you are looking for but I am not sure.

What of you joined a local Aviation Restoration Museum? I'll bet they would sacrifice small mammals for your skills.

such a simple question to ask. I can think of three of perhaps a hundred examples that I may not know of.

- Quality control of a product - thanks for the info!
-Perhaps working for UL laboratories
-Working for the crash center for GM
-DOD explosives ordinance testing by a civilian contractor

Here in Vancouver BC Canada, there are no related DOD defense related companies. So would have to look for alternative companies to work for unless I move to California or New Mexico.

JasonRox said:
I hope you get better responses. The two above clearly didn't read your post.

Wow indeed. I didn't read the post but by chance, he asked about a mythbusters type job, and it just so happens my random post told him to get a job with mythbusters.

Your response was a lot better, very helpful.

1. What is the job of a Mythbuster?

The job of a Mythbuster is to test myths and urban legends using the scientific method to determine if they are true or false.

2. What are the qualifications needed to become a Mythbuster?

To become a Mythbuster, one typically needs a background in science, engineering, or a related field. A degree in these subjects or equivalent experience is usually required.

3. How does one get a job as a Mythbuster?

Mythbusters are typically hired by production companies or networks to work on specific projects or TV shows. Networking, gaining experience in the industry, and showcasing your skills through projects and experiments can help in getting a job as a Mythbuster.

4. What skills are necessary for a successful career as a Mythbuster?

Some important skills for a Mythbuster include critical thinking, problem-solving, and strong scientific knowledge. Good communication and presentation skills are also important for explaining complex scientific concepts to a general audience.

5. Is being a Mythbuster a dangerous job?

While there are risks involved in some of the experiments and stunts performed on the show, Mythbusters take safety precautions and work with trained professionals to minimize the risk. However, there is always a level of danger involved in any job that involves experimenting with explosives and other potentially hazardous materials.