Fluctuating voltage drop in radio

In summary, the conversation discusses the use of a 5v dc voltage source to power a 3v handheld radio using a resistor to regulate the voltage. However, the voltage drop across the resistor fluctuates, causing bad reception with intermittent noise. It is suggested to use a voltage regulator or 3 silicon diodes in series to provide a constant 3v for the radio.
ramonegumpert
Hi Experts :!),

I tried to use a 5v dc voltage source to power a normal handheld 3v radio using a resistor to regulate the voltage.

The voltage drop across the resistor seems to fluctuate constantly by about +/- 0.8 volts.
So, the voltage drop across the resistor fluctuates between 1.5v to 2.3v. The reception sounded bad like with intermittent noise. It seems that I could not get a constant 2v drop across the resistor to provide the 3v(2 x AAA) needed by the radio. When I use the batteries, the radio performs normally.

I could not understand why the voltage drop was not constant when the volume is kept constant and the why using the batteries the radio works normally.

Thanks in advance.

sincerely
Ramone

Last edited:
Engineering news on Phys.org
This is because in normal speech, people talk then stop talking. Music is not constant, it varies with the tune.

So, the radio draws current then it stops drawing so much current. This variation gives you a different current through the resistor and so you get a different voltage on the radio.
So, it may produce distortion.

You need a voltage regulator that gives 3 volts. The LM317 is one that can be adjusted to 3 volts.

A cheaper way might be to put 3 silicon diodes in series with each other and the radio so they are conducting and each dropping 0.6 volts.

This would give you a fairly constant 3.2 volts

Thanks for enlightening vk6kro !

Will try your suggestion.

Have a great day.

sincerely
Ramone

1. What causes voltage drop in a radio?

There are several possible causes for voltage drop in a radio, including faulty wiring or connections, a damaged power supply, or a malfunctioning component within the radio itself.

2. How can I fix fluctuating voltage in my radio?

The best course of action is to first identify the root cause of the voltage drop. This may require troubleshooting or seeking the help of a professional. Once the cause is determined, the necessary repairs or replacements can be made.

3. Can fluctuating voltage damage my radio?

Yes, fluctuating voltage can potentially damage your radio. If the voltage is too high, it can overload and damage the components. If the voltage is too low, it may not provide enough power for the radio to function properly.

4. How can I prevent voltage drop in my radio?

Regular maintenance and proper installation of the radio can help prevent voltage drop. It's also important to use the correct voltage and ensure that the power source is stable and reliable.

5. Is it normal for a radio to experience voltage drop?

It is not normal for a radio to experience significant voltage drop. However, minor fluctuations in voltage are common and can be caused by various factors such as changes in the power supply or interference from other electronic devices.