Finding failure of a beam system

In summary, the conversation is discussing how to calculate the load that will produce failure for a specific point in a picture. The participants are considering treating the small beam as a cantilever and using a predicted failure model formula to calculate the maximum load. This would involve using the yield stress of the material, beam length, and height of the square cross section in the formula Fmax = (σmax * h^3) / (6*L).
Jim Newt
See attached for a picture.

I want to calculate the load that will produce a failure at the point in the picture. If I know all the required dimensions and material properties, how do I go about calculating the load that will produce failure? Thanks!

Jim

Attachments

• Failure.JPG
    Failure.JPG
    7.2 KB · Views: 399
Physics news on Phys.org
What if you treat the small beam member to the right as a cantileaver beam? Any thoughts?

All right, how about this:

The small beam on the right is subject to pure bending, with a square cross section and the larger beam on the left is now just a wall that the small beam is attached to. So for a predicted failure model:

σmax = 6M / (h^3)

where we could set σmax = yield stress of the material
M = Fmax * L
L = beam length
h = height of square cross section

Rearranging, I get:

Fmax = (σmax * h^3) / (6*L)

What do you think of this?

1. What is the cause of failure in a beam system?

The most common cause of failure in a beam system is excessive load or stress. When a beam is subjected to a load that exceeds its capacity, it can experience deformation or even collapse.

2. How can I determine the load capacity of a beam system?

The load capacity of a beam system can be determined through structural analysis, which involves calculating the internal forces and stresses within the beam. This can be done manually or using software programs.

3. What are the signs of potential failure in a beam system?

Some signs of potential failure in a beam system include cracks, deflections, and excessive vibrations. These can be observed during regular inspections or through structural monitoring.

4. How can I prevent failure in a beam system?

To prevent failure in a beam system, it is important to design and construct the system to withstand the expected loads and stresses. This includes using appropriate materials, following building codes and standards, and conducting regular maintenance and inspections.

5. What should I do if I suspect a failure in a beam system?

If you suspect a failure in a beam system, it is important to take immediate action to prevent any potential hazards. This may include evacuating the area and contacting a structural engineer to assess the situation and determine the best course of action.