Which Technique Will Shape the Future of Quantum Computing?

In summary, the poll is asking what the future of quantum computers will be. The three most popular options are liquid NMR quantum computers, ion trap quantum computers, and silicon NMR quantum computers. The fourth option is other, which is not a type of quantum computer. There is no clear winner, as each option has its benefits and drawbacks. However, ion trap quantum computers are likely to be the most successful in the long run, due to their versatility and ability to scale up.

QC

• NMR quantum computers

Votes: 4 28.6%
  • ion trap quantum computers

Votes: 6 42.9%
  • silicon quantum computers

Votes: 1 7.1%
  • other

Votes: 3 21.4%

• Total voters
meteor
quantum computers---the poll!

Come on! This is your opportunity to influence in the future
Quantum computation is advancing firmly, problems of the past have been solved thanks to Shor's code, and decoherence does not seem now such a big problem. What of these 3 techniques (or other) will be the used in the quantum computers of the future? Vote now! I will also appreciate some comments. The future of quantum computation depends on YOU

PS: In fact a silicon quantum computer is a kind of NMR quantum computer, but the fact that is made of a solid make it differs from other liquid NMR quantum computers. So the 4 options are (in this order):
1)liquid NMR quantum computers
2)ion trap quantum computers
3)silicon NMR quantum computers
4)other

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
I still haven't seen a single (simple) example of how a quantum computer uses quantum mechanics to do anything useful. And it's not that I didn't ask. :cry:

salsero:
there are some quantum algorithms that surpass any of the capacities of classical algorithms, e.g.
Shor's algorithm for factorization of prime numbers: it can really break down the widely used RSA public key cryptosystem
Grover's algorithm: for searching a database
Simon's algorithm: for find periods of functions

They are going to use josephson's junctions on silicon. They will make quantum dots on islands, as they are, and use those for quantum computation.

They are going to use josephson's junctions on silicon. They will make quantum dots on islands, as they are, and use those for quantum computation.
Is this the type of quantum computer known as "quantum dot quantum computer"?
StealthC, you seem to know what you're talking about. Do you think that superconducting quantum computers do have a great future?

Quantum-optics computer is important too?

Quantum-optics computer is important too?
I heard that there's a proposal for a linear optical quantum computer, but not much info at google

It seems that liquid NMR QC, the first option of the poll, it's a dead end path, the experts say that they will not be ever be capable of surpass the implantation of more than 10 qubits. It seems that the fight will be between the second and third option. Ion trap Quantum computers were invented in 1995 by Peter Zoller and the spanish Ignacio Cirac. Silicon quantum computers were first proposed in 1998 by Bruce Kane.

There seems that there's some minor investigation in other device called Cavity QED quantum computer

Last edited:
meteor said:
salsero:
there are some quantum algorithms that surpass any of the capacities of classical algorithms, e.g.
Shor's algorithm for factorization of prime numbers: it can really break down the widely used RSA public key cryptosystem
Grover's algorithm: for searching a database
Simon's algorithm: for find periods of functions

Could you please give me a simple example of a mechanism in which the quantum nature of qubits is used to do any calculation in a non-classical way? (Please write it here.)

Thanks!

Re to salsero: Could you please give me a simple example of a mechanism in which the quantum nature of qubits is used to do any calculation in a non-classical way?
I understand QuantumComputer and Quantum Computations as computation with quantum bits-Qubits. I think it is very simplest to understand but not simple to do. I think that Quantum Computer is a ansamble of quantum objects which prepare in the same spin states. It is named as inicialization. Spin up is 0 and itraverse 1. Before measurement we do not know the states of any objects and can say that it is the superposition of 1 and 0. Psi=a|0>+b|1>. In addition the all Quantum Objects (Qubits) as it is you known has the property of of Non-Locality. It is means in some words that all quantum objets are correlated i.e. has the same spin state. Before measurement it is Psi for the same qubit. From this follow that the all qubits is not interaction but has quantum correlation or in other words it is parralel. Thats all. Than how to copmutate with this device? Every qubit has not two states only but superposition Psi. When we use any qubit for computation then it is change in the process of computation and it is change the all qubits because its parralel. When we have the task of looking for the something than every qubits is looking for and in the same time to change other qubits! I suppose that somebody think that Quantum Competer is secret program because I do not see open information about job in area of QC.

Could you please give me a simple example of a mechanism in which the quantum nature of qubits is used to do any calculation in a non-classical way? (Please write it here.)

The simplest example to understand is the Deutsch-Jozsa algorithm. Get the details here:

http://www.cs.caltech.edu/cbsss/2002/schedule/slides/bacon.pdf

So I understand that there is no simple example. One cannot understand how quantum mechanics helps to the computation without considering details of some complicated algorithms...

StealthC said:

What are those? I think I read somewhere that they needed high temperature superconductors to work...

meteor said:
Do you think that superconducting quantum computers do have a great future?

Ohhh yes! Definitly.

meteor said:
1)liquid NMR quantum computers
2)ion trap quantum computers
3)silicon NMR quantum computers

What do these different types do and how are they diffrent? What does NMR stand for?

:yuck:

Relax! It's more easy than it seems!

NMR stands for Nuclear magnetic resonance. A liquid NMR QC is in fact a drop of some substance composed of a kind of molecule, so the number of atoms of each molecule of the substance that you are able to manipulate at the same time using NMR techniques gives the number of qubits of the computer. The record until today is a 7-qubit liquid NMR quantum computer
About the silicon quantum computer, aka Kane quantum computer because was discovered by Kane, you can find info here
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Kane_quantum_computer
The simplest example to understand is the Deutsch-Jozsa algorithm
Interestingly, the Deutsch-Jozsa algorithm was implemented last year in a ion trap quantum computer
http://quantum.fis.ucm.es/article.pl?sid=03/06/12/1553215&mode=thread

Last edited by a moderator:
StealthC said:

No, superconductor-based approaches would probably use niobium or, most likely, aluminium.

I don't know why NMR is even on there; it will never work past a few tens of qubits, and that's if they're lucky.

1. What is a quantum computer?

A quantum computer is a type of computer that uses quantum mechanical phenomena, such as superposition and entanglement, to process and store information. Unlike classical computers, which use bits to represent information, quantum computers use quantum bits, or qubits, which can exist in multiple states simultaneously.

2. How do quantum computers work?

Quantum computers work by manipulating the quantum states of qubits through operations such as superposition, entanglement, and measurement. These operations allow for complex calculations to be performed much faster than classical computers, making quantum computers useful for solving certain types of problems.

3. What are the potential applications of quantum computers?

Quantum computers have the potential to revolutionize fields such as cryptography, drug discovery, and artificial intelligence. They may also be able to solve complex optimization and simulation problems that are currently intractable for classical computers.

4. How is the development of quantum computers progressing?

The development of quantum computers is progressing rapidly, with many companies and research institutions investing in their development. While there have been significant breakthroughs in quantum computing, there are still many challenges to overcome before fully functional quantum computers can be realized.

5. Are quantum computers a threat to classical computers?

No, quantum computers are not a threat to classical computers. While quantum computers may be able to solve certain types of problems faster, they are not intended to replace classical computers. Instead, they are complementary technologies that can work together to solve complex problems more efficiently.