How can a 4x4 matrix be a Lorentz transformation and what are its properties?

In summary, a Lorentz transformation is a type of coordinate transformation used in special relativity to describe the relationship between events observed by different inertial observers. A 4x4 matrix is considered a Lorentz transformation if it satisfies the equation g=L(transpose)gL, with g being the metric tensor. A proper Lorentz transformation has a determinant of 1, while an orthochronous Lorentz transformation has a positive entry in the top left corner.The equation c^2t^2-x^2-y^2-z^2=c^2t'^2-x'^2-y'^2-z'^2 is known as the standard Lorentz transformation and it implies that all observers agree on the light cone
astoria

Homework Statement

What does it mean for a 4x4 matrix to be a Lorentz transformation? What does it mean for it to be proper and orthochronous?

Show that for the standard Lorentz transformation, c^2t^2-x^2-y^2-z^2=c^2t'^2-x'^2-y'^2-z'^2

What is the significance of this statement when quantity is zero? What is the significance of this statement when this quantity is positive? Show that the observers agree on the direction of time and the spatial orientation.

In an inertial co-ordinate system O, a rod whose length according to O is L is aligned parallel to x-axis and moves with 3 velocity (v,w,0) with gamma=3. Show that in the frame of O' the x separation of the end of the rods is 3L but that the rod now makes an angle with the x-axis which should be found. (O' is moving at speed v in the x direction relative to O)

Also, in a similar question there is a rod of length 2l with end points (+-l,a,0) in O'. The first part involves showing that O measures the length of the rod to be 2l/gamma which is fine. The next part says show that the observer O sees the light rays from the two ends of the rod coming in at angles that lead to an apparent length of 2l*gamma.

The Attempt at a Solution

I think a Lorentz transformation is one in which g=L(transpose)gL. I think proper means a determinant of 1 and orthochronous means top left entry is positive. Are these the proper definitions or just results?

I can show that statement and know that it implies that the light-cone for an event is the same for all observers. I'm not really sure what the significance is at 0 or positive though. At 0 is it the light cone for the event that happened for both at (0,0,0,0)?

Showing direction of time is the same is fine, not sure about spatial orientation.

To do this I've said that (0,L) is equivalent to (t',x')=(-vR/c^2,R) solving gives R=3L. Have I done this correctly or should I have done it the other way round and left t'=0 and worked out two values for t, I presume it doesn't matter? To work out the angle I presume that the rod is 3L in the x direction and -3Lvw/c^2 in the y direction, so angle is arctan(w/c^2). I'm not sure whether the rod makes a positive angle or negative angle with the x axis. Have I done this question correctly, if so, in the neatest way?

No idea how to do the last part or why it occurs, I guess it must be that O has two light rays coming in that he doesn't observe to be simultaneous.

Thanks

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
I've found the formal definition of Lorentz transformation and proper and orthochronous, so ignore that bit.

1. What is special relativity?

Special relativity is a theory developed by Albert Einstein in 1905 that describes the relationship between space and time in the absence of gravity. It is based on the idea that the laws of physics should be the same for all observers, regardless of their relative motion.

2. What are the key concepts of special relativity?

The key concepts of special relativity include the principle of relativity, which states that the laws of physics are the same for all inertial observers, and the constancy of the speed of light, which is the same for all observers regardless of their relative motion.

3. How does special relativity differ from classical mechanics?

Special relativity differs from classical mechanics in that it takes into account the effects of motion at high speeds and does not use absolute time and space as a reference frame. It also introduces the concept of spacetime, where time and space are interconnected.

4. What are the implications of special relativity?

The implications of special relativity include the equivalence of mass and energy (E=mc²), time dilation (the slowing of time for objects in motion), and length contraction (the shortening of objects in motion). It also has implications for our understanding of gravity and the structure of the universe.

5. How is special relativity applied in everyday life?

Special relativity is applied in everyday life through technologies such as GPS, which uses the principles of relativity to accurately determine the position of objects on Earth. It also has applications in particle accelerators, nuclear power, and space travel.