Diff EQ Intro - Verify Family of Functions as Solution

In summary, the problem involves verifying if a given family of functions is a solution to a differential equation. The solution involves differentiating the function and plugging it into the equation. The integral with respect to t can be solved using the Fundamental Theorem of Calculus. After plugging in the function, the terms cancel out, indicating that the given family of functions is indeed a solution to the differential equation.
jgiarrusso

Homework Statement

Verify that the indicated family of functions is a solution of the given differential equation. Assume an appropriate interval I of definition for each solution.

Homework Equations

dy/dx + 2xy = 1; y = e-x2[tex]\int[/tex](from 0 to x)et2dt + c1e-x2

The Attempt at a Solution

I have only had one class period in differential so far and we didn't get to go over much material. I imagine that one would need to differentiate y(x) with respect to x and plug into the first equation. However, I'm not quite sure what to do with the integral with respect to t. I tried to integrate it, and got et2/(2t), but evaluating that at 0 would cause an implosion. If I differentiate with respect to x, I don't think I can just treat it as a constant because it's evaluated from 0 to x. Could I please get a nudge in the right direction?

Physics news on Phys.org
I'm not quite sure what to do with the integral with respect to t.

This is just simple application of Fundamental Theorem of Calculus.

If [tex] F(x) = \int_a^x f(t) dt [/tex] then [tex] F'(x) = f(x), [/tex] given of course that f(x) is continuous on [a, x].

So then dy/dx would be:

dy/dx = e-x2 * ex2 - 2xe-x2[tex]\int[/tex](from 0 to x)et2dt - 2xc1e-x2

And then plugging it into the differential equation, it all cancels out. Thank you so much!

What is differential equation?

A differential equation is a mathematical equation that relates a function with its derivatives. It is used to model various phenomena in science and engineering.

What is the importance of verifying a family of functions as solution to a differential equation?

Verifying a family of functions as solution to a differential equation is important because it allows us to check the validity of the solution and make sure that it satisfies the given equation. This helps in determining the accuracy of the solution and its applicability in real-world situations.

What is meant by a family of functions?

A family of functions is a set of functions that share a common characteristic or property. In the context of differential equations, a family of functions refers to a group of functions that satisfy the given equation.

How do you verify a family of functions as solution to a differential equation?

To verify a family of functions as solution to a differential equation, we substitute the functions into the equation and check if it satisfies the equation for all values of the independent variable. If the equation is satisfied, then the function is a valid solution.

What are some common techniques used to verify a family of functions as solution to a differential equation?

Some common techniques used to verify a family of functions as solution to a differential equation include substitution, differentiation, and separation of variables. These techniques help in simplifying the equation and checking its validity for a given set of functions.