Solving Constants a & b for Electric Field E - Curl & Divergence

In summary, the constants a and b which make the curl and divergence always zero are 1 and -1 respectively. To find the potential, you use the equation \Phi(x,y)= cx^2y+\frac{1}{3}acy^3+ C.
galipop
Hi All,

Given electric field E=c(2bxy,x^2+ay^2), I need to determine the constants a and b such that CURL E = 0 and DIV E = 0. I'm also given a path from (0,0) , (1,0) and (1,1).

Ok so the curl = 0+0+cx(2-b) = 0
and the divergence = 2cy(b+a) = 0

How do I solve for a and b at this stage given so many variables?

Also how do I compute the potential in this case.

Physics news on Phys.org
galipop said:
Ok so the curl = 0+0+cx(2-b) = 0
and the divergence = 2cy(b+a) = 0

How do I solve for a and b at this stage given so many variables?
First, recheck your expression for the curl.

Then ask yourself: what must "b" be to make the curl always zero (that is, for any value of x and y)? What must be the relation between "b" and "a" to make the divergence always zero?

ok so I redid the curl and got 2xc(1-b) = 0

therefore b=1 to satisfy that the curl = 0
and a=-1 so that the div = 0 :)

ok that was easy after all...

now how do I compute the potential?

Given potential [tex]\Phi[/tex] you must have:
[tex]\frac{\partial\Phi}{\partial{x}}=2bcxy[/tex]
and
[tex]\frac{\partial\Phi}{\partial{y}}=c(x^{2}+ay^{2})[/tex]
How can you use these equations to determine [tex]\Phi[/tex] ?

Remember also that when you integrate with respect to one variable, the "constant" will actually be a function of the other variable.

Actually, I tried working this problem out for you. But the answer I kept getting was slightly off from what the real potential should be (sorry, it's been a couple years since I took multivariable). In any case, the answer should be f(x,y) = (1/3)acy³ + cx²y. But definitely do arildno's method and make sure that you get this answer (professors don't react to well to answers without work, as I'm sure we've all experienced).

Last edited:
arildno said:
Given potential [tex]\Phi[/tex] you must have:
[tex]\frac{\partial\Phi}{\partial{x}}=2bcxy[/tex]
and
[tex]\frac{\partial\Phi}{\partial{y}}=c(x^{2}+ay^{2})[/tex]
How can you use these equations to determine [tex]\Phi[/tex] ?

Notice that by differentiating the first equation with respect to y, [itex]\frac{\partial^2\Phi}{\partial x\partial y}= 2bcx[/itex] and by differentiating the second equation with respect to x, [itex]\frac{\partial^2\Phi}{\partial y\partial x}= 2cx[/itex]. Since, for any function with continuous second partials, the two mixed partial derivatives must be equal this is possible only if b= 1. Otherwise there is no [itex]\Phi(x,y)[/itex] that has those derivatives.

Integrating the first equation with respect to x, treating y as a constant, [itex]\Phi= bcx^2y+ f(y)[/itex] (the "constant" of integration may depend on y).

Differentiating THAT equation with respect to y, we get [itex]\frac{\partial\Phi}{\partial y}= bcx^2+ \frac{df}{dy}[/itex].

Comparing that with the second given equation, we must have
[itex] bcx^2+ \frac{df}{dy}= cx^{2}+acy^{2}[/itex].

In order for that to be true, the terms involving x must cancel which happens only for b= 1. Taking b= 1 we can cancel that term and have
[itex]\frac{df}{dy}= acy^2[/itex]. Integrating that, [itex]f(y)= \frac{1}{3}acy^3+ C[/itex]. Because f depends only on y, C really is a constant.
Putting those together, we have:
[itex]\Phi(x,y)= cx^2y+\frac{1}{3}acy^3+ C[/itex]
as long as b= 1. If b is not 1, there is no such function.

Last edited by a moderator:
HallsofIvy:
Since the first part of the exercise was to determine those values of a and b which gives zero curl(&divergence,) those are the ones that were implied to be used in my example.
(The existence of the potential has therefore been assured by these choices)

That's why I kept messing up when I tried to actually calculate the potential! I forgot that b must equal 1.

Also I completely forgot about Clairaut's theorem. Amazing how much stuff there is to forget in math.

Thanks guys...

Arunma, how did you know the solution without being able to derive it correctly?

1. What is the purpose of solving for constants a and b in the electric field equation?

The constants a and b are used to determine the strength and direction of the electric field at a specific point in space. Solving for these constants allows us to accurately calculate the strength of the electric field and predict the behavior of charged particles in that field.

2. How are constants a and b related to the electric field?

The constants a and b are related to the electric field through the equations for curl and divergence. These equations describe how the electric field changes in magnitude and direction as we move through different points in space. By solving for a and b, we can understand how the electric field is affected by the presence of charged particles.

3. What factors affect the values of constants a and b?

The values of constants a and b are affected by the distribution and magnitude of charges in the surrounding space. The distance between charged particles, the type of charge (positive or negative), and the strength of the charges all play a role in determining the values of a and b.

4. Can constants a and b be negative?

Yes, constants a and b can have negative values. This indicates that the electric field is pointing in the opposite direction to what was initially assumed. In other words, the direction of the electric field is reversed.

5. How are constants a and b used in practical applications?

Constants a and b are used in a variety of practical applications, including electrical engineering, telecommunications, and particle physics. By solving for these constants, we can design and optimize devices that utilize the electric field, such as capacitors and electric motors. Additionally, understanding the behavior of the electric field is crucial in fields such as telecommunications and particle physics, where charged particles are used to transmit information or study the fundamental building blocks of matter.