Determining the Equation for an Underdamped Oscillating System

In summary, the author attempted to solve a problem involving a car oscillating around a position X0, different from zero, and found that the position function should be x(t)=X0+A*exp(-t/τ)*cos(ωt+δ).
trautlein

Homework Statement

I am trying to figure out the equation to represent the motion of a weighted car attached to an ideal spring that is on an inclined plane (represented by Figure 1. Note, the car in my problem is attached to a spring , whereas in that picture it is attached to a string.)

Using a motion detector and the program Logger Pro, I graphed the position function of the car against time and got the graph that is represented here in Figure 2.

For my equations I determined that my initial amplitude was .1145 by taking maximum and minimum values of the hight of two points of the sinusoidal function.

In an earlier experiment we had determined the 'k' value of the spring to be 27.43, giving me an [tex]\omega_{0}[/tex] value of 4.278.

The mass of my car is 1.499kg.

Homework Equations

For my equation I was using a [tex]\tau[/tex] of 1.69 calculated from the [tex]\omega_{0}[/tex]

[tex]\tau\,=\frac{m}{b}[/tex]

The Attempt at a Solution

I have tried to fit the curve using the curve fitter in Logger Pro, however none of the equations match mine, and when I try to define a function the program says:
Equation must be an equation in "t".

I am assuming that the position function will be given by [tex]x(t)=A^{2}_{0}\ast\,e^{-t/\tau}\astcos(\omega\,t+\delta)[/tex]

This is assuming that [tex]\tau\,=\frac{m}{b}[/tex]

This is the equation that I am trying to find and get to fit to my graph.

Does [tex]\textbf{F}\,_{d}\,=-bv[/tex] ?

Is there anyway that we can graph the theoretical position with the variables that we have here?

Attachments

• Figure 1.jpg
    Figure 1.jpg
    16.5 KB · Views: 382
  • Figure 2.png
    Figure 2.png
    15.7 KB · Views: 435
Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
The car oscillates around a position X0, different from zero, so the position function should be

x(t)=X0+A*exp(-t/τ)*cos(ωt+δ),

where τ=2m/b, if FD=-bv.

ehild

ehild, thank you for the response! I actually just came to that same conclusion about twenty minutes ago, but to see your response really excited me - it means everything ended up okay for me.

Again, thank you.

I am supposed to do anything with this thread once my question has been answered?

I am pleased that you found it out by yourself. Leave the post as it is, so as other people can learn from it. The post was interesting, with very good pictures.

ehild

I also learned a ton about LaTeX in the process of writing this too...

1. What is an underdamped oscillating system?

An underdamped oscillating system is a type of mechanical or electrical system that is characterized by a damped oscillation, meaning that the oscillation decreases in amplitude over time due to the presence of damping forces.

2. How is the equation for an underdamped oscillating system determined?

The equation for an underdamped oscillating system can be determined by analyzing the forces acting on the system and using the principles of Newton's second law of motion and Hooke's law.

3. What are the key variables in the equation for an underdamped oscillating system?

The key variables in the equation for an underdamped oscillating system are the mass of the system, the spring constant, the damping coefficient, and the initial conditions (position and velocity).

4. How does the damping coefficient affect the behavior of an underdamped oscillating system?

The damping coefficient determines the rate at which the oscillation decreases in amplitude. A higher damping coefficient results in a faster decrease in amplitude, leading to a shorter oscillation period and a quicker return to equilibrium.

5. Can the equation for an underdamped oscillating system be used to predict the behavior of real-world systems?

Yes, the equation for an underdamped oscillating system can be used to predict the behavior of real-world systems, such as in mechanical and electrical engineering, as long as the system can be modeled as a damped harmonic oscillator.