Praxis II Physics: Experiences and Advice for High School Teachers

• Thread starter mishima
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Physics
In summary, the conversation is about a nationally required exam for high school physics teachers called the Praxis test. The person asking has not been able to find anyone who has taken it and is seeking advice and experiences from others. One person mentions taking the Praxis test 10 years ago and finding it not too difficult, but suggests using practice tests and study guides. Another person has not taken the exam personally but knows it is challenging and suggests seeking advice from other physics teachers and joining online forums for tips and support.
mishima
Has anyone taken this? I can't seem to find anyone that has ever heard of this nationally required exam for high school physics teachers. I was just hoping to hear some experiences and advice.

Science news on Phys.org
I took the Praxis tests (2 general, one chem, one physics) when it first came out (some 10 years ago?). It was not bad. I'm sure by now there are some practice tests/study guides out for it... but I think I perused an AP physics study guide just to get myself a bit in the mode for a standardized test.

Hi there! I haven't personally taken this exam, but I know a few people who have. From what I've heard, it's a pretty challenging test and definitely requires a lot of studying and preparation. However, with the right resources and dedication, I'm sure you'll do great! I would suggest reaching out to some high school physics teachers or even joining online forums specifically for this exam to get some advice and tips from those who have taken it before. Best of luck to you!

1. What is the Praxis II Physics exam?

The Praxis II Physics exam is a standardized test that is used to measure the knowledge and skills of individuals who want to become certified as physics teachers. It is typically taken by individuals who have completed a bachelor's degree in physics or a related field and are seeking certification to teach physics at the secondary school level.

2. What topics are covered on the Praxis II Physics exam?

The Praxis II Physics exam covers a range of topics related to physics, including mechanics, electricity and magnetism, thermodynamics, optics, and modern physics. It also includes questions on scientific inquiry and laboratory skills.

3. How is the Praxis II Physics exam structured?

The Praxis II Physics exam is a computer-based test that is divided into two sections. The first section is a multiple-choice section with 75 questions that must be completed in 90 minutes. The second section is a constructed-response section with 3 questions that must be completed in 45 minutes.

4. What is the passing score for the Praxis II Physics exam?

The passing score for the Praxis II Physics exam varies by state, but it typically ranges from 130-200. It is important to check with your state's department of education to determine the passing score for your specific location.

5. How can I prepare for the Praxis II Physics exam?

There are a variety of resources available to help you prepare for the Praxis II Physics exam, including study guides, practice tests, and online courses. It is also beneficial to review your undergraduate physics coursework and brush up on any topics that you may be less familiar with. Additionally, practicing problem-solving and test-taking strategies can help you feel more confident on exam day.