Hiring Scientists for Research: Are Physicists Needed?

In summary, the conversation discusses the availability of jobs for physicists at NASA and the misconception that only engineers are hired for these positions. The speaker suggests looking at job listings and qualifications to see that physicists are also eligible for these jobs. They also mention that NASA is not primarily a research lab and most research is done at academic institutions. However, they do state that their job as an astrophysicist is paid for by NASA.
PhysicsHigh
No its not but why do they not hire physicists? All the jobs are for engineers and astrobiologists. Don't they need scientists for research? For like the Hubble telescope or the new James Webb telescope? If I'm wrong tell me but I was just doing research and found no info on it.

Physics news on Phys.org
PhysicsHigh said:
No its not but why do they not hire physicists?

Where did you hear that?

I suggest you take another look at this website: http://jobsearch.usajobs.gov/a9nasai.aspx. There seem to be more positions for engineers than other professions, but if you look at the qualifications, a person with a Physics degree would also be eligible for those same jobs. Plus, just because the title says engineer doesn't mean only engineers can do the job, although most likely it's going to be a harder sell. But it's only logical that there aren't as many research positions open as there are engineering ones, because the nature of NASA isn't really being a basic research lab.

Last edited by a moderator:
Ok but what about all their telescopes don't they do research with them?

No, NASA itself is not doing a lot of research. They do some, but the majority of the research done with the telescopes you mention is done at academic institutions. That aside, i am an astrophysicist and my job is paid out of NASA budget.

1. What qualifications do I need to become a physicist for research?

To become a physicist for research, you typically need to have a Ph.D. in physics or a related field such as astronomy, engineering, or mathematics. In addition, having a strong background in mathematics, computer science, and laboratory experience is also important.

2. What types of research do physicists typically work on?

Physicists can work on a wide range of research topics, including quantum mechanics, astrophysics, particle physics, condensed matter physics, and many others. The specific research focus depends on the individual's interests and expertise.

3. Are there job opportunities for physicists in research?

Yes, there are many job opportunities for physicists in research. Physicists can work in academic institutions, government agencies, and private companies. They can also work in a variety of fields, such as healthcare, energy, and technology.

4. What skills are important for a physicist working in research?

A strong foundation in mathematics, critical thinking, and problem-solving skills are essential for a physicist working in research. They should also have excellent analytical skills, communication skills, and the ability to work in a team.

5. What advancements in technology are creating opportunities for physicists in research?

The rapid development of technology in fields such as quantum computing, renewable energy, and space exploration is creating new opportunities for physicists in research. Additionally, advancements in data science and machine learning are also creating opportunities for physicists to contribute to research in various fields.