Have You Heard of Non-Local Machines for Simulating EPR States?

In summary, the conversation discusses a paper by Cerf, Gisisn Massar, and Popescu, which presents a hidden variable model of EPR state with a hidden communication channel. This model introduces the concept of non-local machines, which provide a different perspective on EPR-like states and the cost of representing them using classical physics. The paper also defines three levels of communication, including the information communicated through quantum entanglement, the maximum violation of Bell's inequality through non-local correlations, and the superluminal transmission of a real bit. The conversation also mentions a measure that shows the hierarchy of these communication levels.
seratend
Hi everybody,

For the ones interested by a hidden variable model of EPR state with a hidden communication channel , I recommend the last Cerf, Gisisn Massar and Popescu quant-ph/0410027 paper (4 pages – a short concise one). I think it is a good one (with the pointers it gives).
It introduces a possible (logical) implementation of the EPR like state with what they call the non-local machines (PR- machines, I like the “machine” term they chosen rather than “interaction” :tongue2: ): We have another different look to the EPR like states (and the cost to represent them by "classical physics") .

All the comments are welcome.

Seratend.

Physics news on Phys.org
The url for the article is http://arxiv.org/abs/quant-ph/0410027

They define three levels of communication:

(1) the information communicated through the nonlocality of quantum entanglement, which does not permit any detectable signaling, but which produces correlations that are impossible under local hidden variable models. An 'e-bit' is defined as the amount of information contained in an entanglement.

(2) The maximum amount that Bell's inequality (actually the CHSH inequality) can be violated through a nonlocal correlation that does not actually communicate a bit (this is a 'nl-bit'). Basically, they show how to make a machine that violates the inequality even more than quantum mechanics does, by using non-locality but not actually transmitting anything detectable,

(3) superluminal transmission of a real bit from A to B, which is a real signal, but physically impossible (so far).

They then demonstrate a measure > such that:
real bit > nl-bit > e-bit.

Bruce

Thank you for sharing this paper, Seratend. I find the concept of non-local machines to be very interesting and it definitely offers a different perspective on EPR states. It is always valuable to explore alternative ways of understanding and simulating entanglement. I will definitely take a look at this paper and share my thoughts. Thank you again for the recommendation and for opening up the discussion to others. I look forward to reading the paper and joining in on the conversation.

What is entanglement?

Entanglement is a quantum phenomenon where two or more particles become connected in such a way that the state of one particle cannot be described independently of the state of the other particles. This means that measuring one particle will instantly affect the state of the other particles, even if they are separated by large distances.

Why is simulating entanglement important?

Simulating entanglement allows scientists to better understand and manipulate quantum systems. It also has potential applications in quantum computing and communication, as it can be used to transmit information securely.

How do scientists simulate entanglement?

Scientists use theoretical models and computer simulations to study entanglement. These simulations involve creating a virtual environment and manipulating the properties of the particles to mimic real-world experiments.

What challenges do scientists face when simulating entanglement?

One of the main challenges is accurately representing the complex interactions and dynamics of entangled particles. Another challenge is dealing with the large amount of data and computational power required for simulations.

What are some potential applications of simulating entanglement?

Simulating entanglement has potential applications in quantum computing, quantum communication, and quantum cryptography. It could also help in developing new technologies for secure communication and high-speed data processing.