Help Needed: Solving Tf in Metal & Liquid Heat Exchange

In summary, the conversation discusses a problem with solving an equation involving a piece of metal and a liquid. A mistake is identified and corrected, leading to a solution. The key concept is energy conservation.
tedjj
I can't solve this problem. Could anyone help me?
A piece of metal with a mass of 2kg and specific heat of 200J/kg C is initially at a temperature of 120 C. The metal is placed into an insulated container that contains a liquid of mass 4kg, a specific heat of 600J/kg C, and an initial temperature of 20C.
I am using equation
Mm * Cm(Tf-Ti)=Ml*Cl(Tf-Ti)
2*200*(Tf-120)=4*600*(Tf-20)
(Tf-120)=6*(Tf-20)
Tf-120 = 6Tf-120
Tf=6Tf
Where did I make a mistake?
Thanks

Physics news on Phys.org
In the first formula you use there should be a minus sign on one of the sides. This is an energy equation; energy is conserved so the amount of heat that the metal loses (-) is gained (+) by the liquid...

ohh You are right. Thank you very much.

1. What is Tf in metal and liquid heat exchange?

Tf stands for "final temperature" and refers to the equilibrium temperature reached when a metal object and a liquid come into contact and exchange heat.

2. Why is it important to solve for Tf in metal and liquid heat exchange?

Solving for Tf allows us to determine the final temperature of the system, which is crucial for understanding the heat transfer process and predicting the behavior of the system.

3. How can Tf be calculated in metal and liquid heat exchange?

Tf can be calculated using the heat transfer equation, which takes into account the specific heat capacity of the metal and liquid, the initial temperatures of both substances, and the heat exchange coefficient.

4. What factors can affect Tf in metal and liquid heat exchange?

The final temperature can be influenced by various factors such as the initial temperatures of the metal and liquid, the type of metal and liquid being used, the surface area of the metal object, and the duration of the heat exchange process.

5. Are there any practical applications for understanding Tf in metal and liquid heat exchange?

Yes, understanding Tf can be useful in a variety of industries such as manufacturing, engineering, and food and beverage production. It can help optimize heat transfer processes, determine appropriate cooling or heating times, and ensure product quality and safety.