What is the meaning of 'box' in Wess and Bagger's chiral superfield theory?

In summary, the conversation discusses a confusion in the calculation of propagators for a free chiral superfield theory, specifically in equations 9.11 of Wess and Bagger. The confusion is regarding the use of the D'Alembert operator and the Dirac delta function. The expert recommends looking into more modern approaches to derive the superfield propagator.
Bobhawke
Hi,

I apologize if this question has been asked before or if it is dumb, but...

I'm trying to learn some supersymmetry and have been working through Wess and Bagger. However, I have become confused in chapter 9, when they calculate the propagators of a free chiral superfield theory. My confusion is at the set of equations 9.11: They call the position space Feynman propagator the inverse of (box squared + m squared). It might make sense if it was momentum space and box was the momentum, but elsewhere in the book I believe they are using box to mean the D'Alembert operator. This doesn't seem to make sense and all and I can't figure out what's causing the confusion.

Thanks in advance.

Physics news on Phys.org
In and around W&B (9.11) [itex]\Box[/itex] still means the d'Alembertian [itex]\Box=\partial^a\partial_a[/itex], i.e. it's a differential operator.

Below equation (9.11) there's the formula

[itex]\Delta_F(x) = \frac{1}{\Box-m^2}[/itex]

this probably a typo/oversight of some sort.
Either the [itex](x)[/itex] is extraneous and it should be interpreted as the operator definition

[itex]\begin{align}
\Delta_F = \frac{1}{\Box-m^2}\,,
\quad \text{such that:}& \quad
(\Box-m^2)\Delta_F = \mathbf{1}\\
\quad\text{equivalently:}& \quad
(\Box-m^2)\Delta_F(x) = \delta^4(x)
\quad\text{where}\quad
\Delta_F(x) = \Delta_F\cdot\delta^4(x)\,,
\end{align}[/itex]

or (more likely) it was meant to include the Dirac δ-function,

[itex]\Delta_F(x) = \frac{1}{\Box-m^2}\delta^4(x)[/itex]

so that using the momentum space representation for the Dirac δ-function you get the normal momentum space propagator

[itex]\tilde{\Delta}_F(k) = \frac{-1}{k^2+m^2}\ .[/itex]

By the way:
The approach used in this section is a bit old fashioned / not very common. You can more simply derive the superfield propagator directly using superspace variational derivatives and then, if you want, project out the component propagators. See the standard textbooks by Gates, Grisaru, Rocek & Seigel OR Buchbinder & Kuzenko OR West etc... for more modern / different approaches. More details at http://www.stringwiki.org/w/index.php?title=Supersymmetry_and_Supergravity" is also worth the read.

Last edited by a moderator:
Thank you very much, that was extremely helpful.

What is a Wess and Bagger box operator?

A Wess and Bagger box operator is a machine used in packaging and labeling processes. It is designed to automatically fill boxes with products and seal them, as well as print and apply labels on the boxes.

What products can be packaged using a Wess and Bagger box operator?

Wess and Bagger box operators are versatile machines and can be used to package a wide range of products including food, pharmaceuticals, electronics, and household items.

How does a Wess and Bagger box operator work?

The machine works by first loading the empty boxes onto a conveyor belt. Then, the products are fed into the machine, which fills the boxes with the desired amount. The boxes are then sealed and labeled before being discharged from the machine.

What are the benefits of using a Wess and Bagger box operator?

There are several benefits to using a Wess and Bagger box operator, including increased efficiency and productivity, reduced labor costs, improved accuracy in filling and labeling, and the ability to handle a variety of box sizes and products.

Is training required to operate a Wess and Bagger box operator?

Yes, training is necessary to operate a Wess and Bagger box operator effectively. The machine requires some technical knowledge and skills, and proper training ensures safe and efficient operation.