Need Advice about NDT and engineering

In summary, the conversation discussed the individual's transition from the military to a job offer with a large NDT company. They are considering pursuing a degree in Mechanical Engineering (ME) at USC to further their career in NDT. The group offered insight on the ME curriculum, which is broad and includes stress analysis and strengths of materials courses. It was suggested that ME is a good choice for those interested in exploring different fields, as it provides a strong foundation for other engineering disciplines.
NDTnooby
I am currently on Active Duty but getting out this year. I have a job offer with a very big NDT company as a Level III. I have looked into this extensively and found that ME seems to be the best route but I am not totally sure. My job is to literally find cracks in various materials from advanced composites to alloys or castings using a variety of cool scientific methods. I plan on registering at USC this fall and starting a program in ME. Any insight would be much appreciated. I am currently a NDI Craftsman in the AF I have 7 years experience and a BA in Professional Aeronautics from Embry Riddle so I am not new to college either. I was wondering if anyone here has any experience with what engineering program offers the most background in NDT or NDE? Again any answers are greatly appreciated.

Physics news on Phys.org
ME curriculum is very broad & good choice. The first two years are basic stuff (perhaps you have some transferable credits from E-R) and generally common to all other engineering programs. ME will give you some stress analysis / strengths of materials courses. But I don't think those courses really get into the meat of fracture mechanics etc (but I could be wrong...been a lo-o-ong time since I took those classes). So while you are working, learning how to be a civilian, and gaining experience, those two years will give you an opportunity to explore other fields. When I first started out, I was told "if you don't know what you want, then go into ME because it is the broadest field...you can easily change to any other field from ME, but sometimes not the other way around." I think that was good advice.

1. What is NDT and why is it important in engineering?

NDT stands for Non-Destructive Testing, which is a group of techniques used to evaluate the properties of a material, component, or system without causing any damage. It is important in engineering because it allows for the detection of defects or flaws in a product or structure without altering its integrity, which can save time and money in the long run.

2. What are the different types of NDT methods?

There are several types of NDT methods, including visual inspection, liquid penetrant testing, magnetic particle testing, ultrasonic testing, radiographic testing, and eddy current testing. Each method has its own advantages and limitations, and the appropriate method should be chosen based on the material and type of defect being tested for.

3. How do I choose the right NDT method for my project?

Choosing the right NDT method for your project depends on several factors, such as the material being tested, the type of defect being looked for, and the size and complexity of the structure or component. It is best to consult with a qualified NDT technician or engineer to determine the most suitable method for your specific project.

4. What are the advantages of using NDT in engineering?

The advantages of using NDT in engineering include the ability to detect defects or flaws in a product or structure without causing any damage, which can save time and money in the long run. NDT can also provide more accurate and reliable results compared to traditional testing methods, and it can be used on a wide range of materials and structures.

5. Are there any limitations to using NDT in engineering?

While NDT has many benefits, it also has some limitations. Some types of defects may be undetectable using certain NDT methods, and the accuracy of the results can be affected by factors such as operator error or environmental conditions. It is important to carefully consider the limitations of NDT when choosing the method for a particular project.