Is Spacetime Capable of Tearing or Breaking Down?

• Thread starter r.hackett
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Spacetime
In summary, the concept of spacetime ripping or breaking is a common theme in science fiction, but its basis in real physics is uncertain. There are mathematical solutions in which spacetime can "rip," but they involve unlikely scenarios and may not accurately describe the universe. The singularity of a black hole is a place where spacetime is stretched infinitely by gravity, but it is also possible that spacetime breaks down in some way, potentially causing information to be lost forever. While it may not be a meaningful question in reality, it is a valid inquiry in terms of topology and mathematical tools. Research has been done on this topic, but it relies on unproven assumptions.
r.hackett
The concept of spacetime ripping or breaking (down) is common in science fiction, but does it have any basis in real physics? Inside the singularity of a Black Hole, it seems that spacetime is stretched infinitely by gravity (conjecture, but a common belief, right?), but could it be possible that spacetime breaks down in some way at a certain point, possibly causing information to be lost forever?

I feel that it may not even be a meaningful question in reality (i.e. does it even make sense to assume that spacetime could do anything resembling tearing or breaking?), but I am curious of people's opinions or insight into this.

edit:
Of course,this is all in the context of Einstein's Theory of Relativity (referring to "spacetime").

Space news on Phys.org
r.hackett said:
The concept of spacetime ripping or breaking (down) is common in science fiction, but does it have any basis in real physics?

Some.

First a bit of definition. There is a branch of math called topology which is the study of how things behave when you try to bend them. You can bend a cube into a sphere, so they are in the same topological group. You can't bend a cube into a donut, so that's a different topological group.

There's an entire complicated branch of mathematics devoted to figuring out if you can bend thing A into thing B without ripping something apart.

So the question you are asking is whether you can change the topological group of space-time. And the answer is ...

We aren't sure...

There *are* solutions of GR in which space-time "rips" but these involve situations that we think aren't possible (i.e. you can rip a hole in space time with negative mass). Also weird things that no one understands at the singularity of black hole.

Also "space-time" is a mathematical tool. We aren't sure if it's the right mathematical tool to be use in the theory of everything.

Inside the singularity of a Black Hole, it seems that spacetime is stretched infinitely by gravity (conjecture, but a common belief, right?), but could it be possible that spacetime breaks down in some way at a certain point, possibly causing information to be lost forever?

Yes. It's possible. That's problem. We don't know what happens so pretty much anything is possible. It's possible that information gets destroyed at the singularity. It's also possible that it doesn't.

I feel that it may not even be a meaningful question in reality (i.e. does it even make sense to assume that spacetime could do anything resembling tearing or breaking?), but I am curious of people's opinions or insight into this.

It makes sense. There is an entire branch of mathematics devoted to this. We don't know the answers, but we can ask the question in precise mathematical terms.

Didnt Guth and Farhi do some work on this? I don't remember the reference so maybe somone else know about it. But I am pretty sure they wrot e apaper on this and Sean Caroll based his eternal cosmology model on it.

Yes, but, as twofish pointed out, it relies on assumptions that are unsupported by observation - like gravitational singularities..

I would say that the concept of spacetime tearing or breaking down is not supported by current scientific theories and evidence. According to Einstein's theory of general relativity, spacetime is a continuous, four-dimensional fabric that is curved by the presence of mass and energy.

Inside a black hole, the curvature of spacetime becomes infinitely steep, but it does not necessarily "break down." It is true that our current understanding of physics breaks down at the singularity of a black hole, but this does not mean that spacetime itself is breaking down. It simply means that our current theories are not able to fully explain what happens at the singularity.

Additionally, the idea of information being lost forever due to spacetime breaking down is not supported by scientific evidence. In fact, the principle of conservation of information states that information cannot be destroyed, only transferred or transformed. This principle is a fundamental part of our understanding of the universe and has been supported by numerous experiments and observations.

In summary, while the concept of spacetime tearing or breaking down may be intriguing in science fiction, it is not a concept that is supported by current scientific theories and evidence. Our understanding of spacetime and the laws of physics do not allow for such possibilities. However, as with all scientific theories, our understanding may evolve and change as new evidence and discoveries are made.

1. Can spacetime actually tear or break?

According to the theory of general relativity, spacetime is a continuous fabric that can bend and stretch, but it cannot actually tear or break. This is because spacetime is a fundamental part of the universe and cannot be destroyed or disrupted in that way.

2. What causes the idea of spacetime tearing or breaking?

The concept of spacetime tearing or breaking often arises when discussing extreme events such as black holes or the Big Bang. These events involve incredibly strong gravitational forces that can cause significant distortions in spacetime, but it does not mean that spacetime itself is being torn or broken.

3. Are there any theories that suggest spacetime can tear or break?

Currently, there is no scientific theory that supports the idea of spacetime tearing or breaking. However, there are some theories, such as loop quantum gravity, that propose a discrete structure for spacetime, which could potentially lead to the idea of spacetime breaking into smaller units. However, this is still a highly debated topic in the scientific community.

4. Can we observe or measure spacetime tearing or breaking?

Since spacetime is a fundamental concept and cannot be directly observed, it is impossible to measure or observe it tearing or breaking. However, we can observe the effects of extreme events, such as gravitational waves from black hole mergers, which provide evidence for the distortion of spacetime.

5. What would happen if spacetime did tear or break?

If spacetime were to tear or break, it would fundamentally change our understanding of the universe and the laws of physics. It would likely lead to unpredictable and potentially catastrophic effects, making it essential for scientists to continue studying and understanding the nature of spacetime.