Projectile montion Problem given the Inital Velocity and Angle to horizontal

In summary, the conversation is about finding the velocity and acceleration of a football kicked at an angle of 32.50 degrees with an initial velocity of 42m/s, assuming negligible air resistance. The max height of the ball is 25.68m and the travel time is 8.57s. The distance traveled is 303.5494m. The individual is struggling with finding the velocity and acceleration at max height and is seeking help. They are advised to break down the initial velocity into vertical and horizontal components and consider the only other force, neglecting air resistance. The conversation ends with the individual still unsure about their calculations.
keithc
Hi All,
I am struggling to work out the following:
Q: A football is kicked at an angle of 32.50 to the horizontal, with an initial velocity of 42m/s. Assume air resistance is negligible.
A) Find the Balls Velocity at max Height
B) The Balls Acceleratoin Vector at max Height

I have so far worked out the following:
The balls Max height has worked out to be 25.68 m
The Travel time is 8.57 s
and the Distance traveled is 303.5494m
But not sure where to go with this next to figure out the A) and B) parts.
I would very grateful for any help on this.
Thx, K

Physics news on Phys.org
If the method of solution is shown one can give help in a more suitable way.

You don't need any of the 3 things you have figured out in order to get the 2 that you need. In fact, the 3 that you have figured out are quite a bit more complicated then the 2 you are asking about. You are WAAYY over thinking it.

Hi All, thanks for looking and inputs. I am new to physics hence I have probably asked a silly question. But if don't ask I will never learn..
Thx again, K

So did you figure it out?

Not yet ! Still hitting my head of this ball.. hehe.. I am lost as to where to go with my calc's. If I do I will post how I got there hopefully!

Start by breaking your initial velocity down into vertical and horizontal components. What is factors are going to influence each component while the football is in flight?

I think I have worked out the velocity at the max height. Not too sure if I am correct or not.
The vertical velocity is 0 so that means that the horizontal velocity worked out by
42. cos 32.5 degs= 35.422 m/s is the same as the velocity at max height or am I totally off with this??
Thx K

Right on. Now the acceleration question is the easiest of all. Since we are neglecting air resistance there is only one other force to consider...

1. What is projectile motion?

Projectile motion is the motion of an object through the air under the influence of gravity. It follows a curved path known as a parabola.

2. How is initial velocity and angle to horizontal related in projectile motion?

The initial velocity and angle to horizontal determine the direction and speed of the projectile's motion. The initial velocity is the speed at which the object is launched, while the angle to horizontal is the angle at which it is launched with respect to the ground.

3. How do you calculate the maximum height and range in projectile motion?

The maximum height can be calculated using the formula h = (v2sin2θ)/2g, where v is the initial velocity, θ is the angle to horizontal, and g is the acceleration due to gravity. The range can be calculated using the formula R = (v2sin2θ)/g.

4. What factors affect the trajectory of a projectile?

The factors that affect the trajectory of a projectile include the initial velocity, angle to horizontal, air resistance, and gravity. These factors can impact the height, range, and shape of the projectile's path.

5. How is projectile motion used in real-world applications?

Projectile motion is used in many real-world applications, such as sports, military operations, and space exploration. It is also used in physics experiments to study the effects of gravity and air resistance on objects in motion.