Second Derivative Doesn't Work

In summary, we start with the equation y^2-xy=2 and use implicit differentiation to find the second derivative, which is equal to 4/(2y-x)^3. Attempting to use the quotient rule did not work, but using the product rule on y(x)*\frac{1}{2y-x} led to the correct result.
sjaguar13
Starting with y^2-xy=2, then y'=y/(2y-x)

y''=(2y-x)y'-y(2y'-1)/(2y-x)^2

substitute y' in:
y''=(2y-x)(y/2y-x) - y(2(y/2y-x)-1)

the (2y-x) cancels:
y''=(y) - y(2y/2y-x)-1)

distribute:
y'' = y - (2y^2)/(2y-x)-y

Somewhere I need y^2-xy so I can replace it with the original 2, but I'm not getting it.

Physics news on Phys.org
No. He wants to implicitly differentiate to get [tex]\frac{d^2 y}{d x^2}[/tex].

[tex]y^2 - xy = 2 \Longrightarrow 2y\frac{d y}{dx} - y - x\frac{dy}{dx} = 0 \Longrightarrow \frac{dy}{dx} = \frac{y}{2y-x}[/tex]

[tex] \Longrightarrow \frac{d^2y}{dx^2} = \frac{\frac{dy}{dx}}{2y-x} \ - \ \frac{y(2\frac{dy}{dx} - 1)}{(2y-x)^2} = \frac{\frac{y}{2y-x}}{2y-x} \ - \ \frac{y\left( \frac{2y}{2y-x} - 1\right)}{(2y-x)^2}[/tex]

[tex]= \frac{y}{(2y-x)^2} \ - \ \frac{y\frac{2y - (2y-x)}{2y-x}}{(2y-x)^2} = \frac{y}{(2y-x)^2} \ - \ \frac{yx}{(2y-x)^3} = \frac{y(2y-x) - xy}{(2y-x)^3} = \frac{2y^2 - 2xy}{(2y-x)^3} = \frac{4}{(2y-x)^3}[/tex]

I don't really follow. Why is the second derivative = first deriv - (top)(bottom)/(bottom)^2?

In the book, the quotient rule is ((bottom)(top)' - (top)(bottom)')/(bottom)^2. That's what I tried to do, but it didn't work.

sjaguar13 said:
I don't really follow. Why is the second derivative = first deriv - (top)(bottom)/(bottom)^2?

In the book, the quotient rule is ((bottom)(top)' - (top)(bottom)')/(bottom)^2. That's what I tried to do, but it didn't work.
Data chose to differentiate by using the product rule on the function [tex]y(x)*\frac{1}{2y-x}[/tex]

And, I have to add, the second derivative ALWAYS works, even if you don't know what to use it for..

Last edited:
Instead of looking for a y^2 - xy that you can replace with 2, maybe you could figure out what to replace y^2 with? Why'd you want to do that anyways?

(I'm assuming your work was right)

y''=(2y-x)y'-y(2y'-1)/(2y-x)^2

sjaguar13 said:

That's not what you did. Look above. It should be y'/(2y-x)-y(2y'-1)/(2y-x)^2.

1. Why doesn't the second derivative always work?

The second derivative is a mathematical tool used to analyze the curvature of a graph at a specific point. However, it can only be used for functions that are continuous and differentiable. If a function is not continuous or has a sharp corner or cusp, the second derivative may not give a meaningful result.

2. How do you know when the second derivative doesn't work?

If a function is not continuous or differentiable at a specific point, the second derivative will not exist at that point. This can be determined by checking the first derivative for discontinuities or by graphing the function and observing any sharp corners or cusps.

3. Can the second derivative give incorrect results?

No, the second derivative will always give the correct result for a function that is continuous and differentiable. However, it may not give a meaningful result for functions that do not meet these criteria.

4. Is there an alternative to using the second derivative?

Yes, there are other mathematical tools that can be used to analyze the curvature of a graph, such as the first derivative or higher order derivatives. In some cases, geometric methods can also be used to analyze curvature.

5. How can I fix the issue of the second derivative not working?

If the second derivative does not work for a specific function, it may be necessary to use alternative methods or simplify the function in order to make it continuous and differentiable. In some cases, it may also be necessary to analyze the graph visually rather than relying on mathematical tools.