Welcome! Introducing Myself in the Forum

In summary, the thread topic speaks for itself, but I want to introduce myself here. I am a physics student and well I'm ofcourse interested in forming part of your community! Hi new, nice to meet you :)Welcome to the forum sappho.poiesis! I assure you that you will enjoy your stay here. As part of our honourable welcoming ceremony, we request that new members provide us with their fish preference. So, please tell us, what is your favourite fish?
sappho.poiesis
Well although the thread topic speaks for itself I want to introduce myself here.

I created an account in this forum a while ago and I've been checking it a bit

So yes! I want to participate but I know no one, I tried to find the topical section in which newbies introduce themselves but I couldn't find one so I'm posting right here.

I'm a physics student and well I'm ofcourse interested in forming part of your community!

Physics news on Phys.org
Welcome to the forum. This is a friendly forum but not a social forum, so there is no area for introductions. People just jump in and ask a question, or answer someone else's question.

:smile:--You have the same first name as my muse...
Good to meet you Sappho.Poiesis,
Mmmm...Poiesis...what do you make? Or is it just because of physics or is it poetry or all of them?
Anyway, welcome to the fora!

Fish?

Don't, seriously don't. Never reply when somebody asks about fish. Not in PF. Otherwise choose something really small, and whatever you do don't say Megadolon...
Sorry borek, I really like that name...

Don't rush like that, dear Borek, we're not trying to frighten newbies here. :biggrin:

Welcome to the forum sappho.poiesis! I assure you that you will enjoy your stay here. As part of our honourable welcoming ceremony, we request that new members provide us with their fish preference. So, please tell us, what is your favourite fish?

Edit: Don't listen to Enigman! Never listen to any advice in this regard (the fish), just follow your heart and see what your lucky fish might get you into. o:)

Hey thank you all I'll start looking at more posts so far I want to participate in the science picture contest!

It's poiesis because I like to write poetry in my spare time!

Oh and since I'm vegetarian I don't have favorite fish :p

sappho.poiesis said:
Oh and since I'm vegetarian I don't have favorite fish :p
But aren't there any particular fish you like anyway - to look at? I'm just curious.

Nope, I really don't knoe much about fish... :$

Sorry, but you can't be a member if you don't name a fish. It's part of the initiation ceremony.

Which is the fish you most HATE, then? :devil:

Triple refusal to name the fish results in a ban. It is not spelled out in the official rules, but it is in the Mentors quick guide, chapter 231, section 1542, paragraph 334 (probably easier to locate by going directly to page 654 in book 43).

Is "no favourite fish" experimentally distinguishable from "all fish are my favourites"?

Just askin'.

Well problem is I know nothing about fish, NOTHING. Nor have I had them as pets or anything ... so it's complicated for me to nname any. I just like snakes and rabbits.

I'm going to do something very special for you, I am going to give you my favorite fish, which just happens to be THE OFFICIAL FISH of PF!

WHAM! You have been fish slapped with a threadfin bream!

attachment.php?attachmentid=37518&d=1311617488.jpg

sappho.poiesis said:
Well problem is I know nothing about fish, NOTHING. Nor have I had them as pets or anything ... so it's complicated for me to nname any. I just like snakes and rabbits.

You must think we are so, so weird.

Well, you're right! This is part of our welcoming ritual :smile:. I want to make you feel welcome, so because you don't know about fish, I will help you here. I present two choices:

3516729307_707a564cfb_z.jpg

whale-shark-belize.jpg

Fish 1 or fish 2?

Lol. I nominate sappho.poiesis as our luckiest member :smile:.

What is tthat green weird thing?

sappho.poiesis said:
What is tthat green weird thing?

Isn't it beautiful? It's a Leafy Seadragon - a type of seahorse.

That's a perch, Evo.

So weird never heard of it.

1. What is the purpose of introducing myself in a forum as a scientist?

The purpose of introducing yourself in a forum as a scientist is to provide background information about your expertise and interests to the other forum members. This can help establish your credibility and may lead to meaningful discussions and collaborations with others in the scientific community.

2. How should I introduce myself in a forum as a scientist?

When introducing yourself in a forum as a scientist, it is important to include your name, your area of expertise, and any relevant qualifications or experience. You may also want to share your research interests, current projects, and any other information that you feel is relevant to the forum topic.

3. Is it necessary to include a profile picture when introducing myself in a forum as a scientist?

While it is not necessary to include a profile picture when introducing yourself in a forum as a scientist, it can help personalize your introduction and make it more engaging for other members. A professional headshot or a picture related to your research can be a great addition to your introduction.

4. What are some important things to keep in mind when introducing myself in a forum as a scientist?

When introducing yourself in a forum as a scientist, it is important to be concise, clear, and professional. Avoid using overly technical language that may be difficult for others to understand. Also, make sure to read the forum rules and guidelines before posting your introduction to ensure that it aligns with the community's expectations.

5. Should I include contact information when introducing myself in a forum as a scientist?

Including contact information in your introduction is not necessary, but it can be helpful if you are open to networking and collaboration opportunities with other forum members. You can include your email address, professional website, or social media handles if you feel comfortable sharing them.