Overcome Bad Study Habits: Stop Procrastination & Laziness

• Thread starter shadowboy13
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Study
In summary: Code=as2&camp=1789&creative=390957&creativeASIN=0767922719In summary, this person suggests reading a book to help stop being lazy.
shadowboy13
I really wanted to create a topic about this regarding the act i am horrible when it comes to deadlines, it always seems to be delayed when i simply don't feel like it, the question is...does anybody know a way to stop procrastination (laziness) ?

Now granted i did discover some neat things while i was doodling in front of my computer screen, i inadvertently proved the vertical angle theorem and discovered the 90-60-30 triangle, but it seems like i have no motivation for anything (well that and failing some math questions because i don't have the necessary basic knowledge to undertake them).

I ask this here because we all have been there at some point, some more than others, and you guys probably know someway to stop being lazy (being the glorious physicists and mathematicians you are :tongue:), be it setting standards for yourself, schedules, or what have you.

All help is welcome :biggrin:

Physics news on Phys.org
Yeah same! I didnt study at all in High School.
Turned out bad for me!

I always thought "hey, there's plenty of time, the deadline's like *enter number or weeks here* away!" So everything mounted and mounted and I can't even believe myself for thinking after a whole day of studying "f*** school, why is this so unfair, so much to study!"

What I did, though, was studying in loud music, the wrong kind of music (psychedelic music, heavy metal and such). In my computer, with a handful of distractions like stupid/retarded internet humour sites such as 9gag or browsing videos on youtube or posting something in a forum thinking about one million different things, Everything BUT the subject I needed to study for.

How to stop? Well, this is going to be like quitting smoking. There are 2 ways it can happen: either one forces themself to do it or simply feels that they have had enough. I quit smoking via the 2nd way and interestingly enough I improved my studying at one point similarly: just one day I thought to myself "Ok, when I get home, I will put on some music, but not browse around or anything, just focus on homework" and after a while it became a second nature, the funny thing is I didn't force myself for any of it, all happened so naturally.

High school sucks because you have to study utterly dumb things like arts history or memorise some stuff about biology, especially the terminology. It's difficult to study for something you don't like. In university it's much easier, the key thing is, you have to know what you want to do and uni timetable is much looser too. In high school you are at school like on a work schedule basis, 90% of work at school, 10% on your own - in uni it's the opposite.

Last edited:
shadowboy13 said:
I really wanted to create a topic about this regarding the act i am horrible when it comes to deadlines, it always seems to be delayed when i simply don't feel like it, the question is...does anybody know a way to stop procrastination (laziness) ?

Now granted i did discover some neat things while i was doodling in front of my computer screen, i inadvertently proved the vertical angle theorem and discovered the 90-60-30 triangle, but it seems like i have no motivation for anything (well that and failing some math questions because i don't have the necessary basic knowledge to undertake them).

I ask this here because we all have been there at some point, some more than others, and you guys probably know someway to stop being lazy (being the glorious physicists and mathematicians you are :tongue:), be it setting standards for yourself, schedules, or what have you.

All help is welcome :biggrin:

This question comes up very often and my response is always the same.

Read this book: http://www.amazon.com/dp/0767922719/?tag=pfamazon01-20

Last edited by a moderator:

1. How do bad study habits affect academic performance?

Bad study habits, such as procrastination and laziness, can significantly impact academic performance. When students constantly delay their study sessions or struggle to stay focused and motivated, they may not fully understand or retain the material being taught. This can lead to poor grades and a lack of success in school.

2. What are some common causes of bad study habits?

There can be various reasons for developing bad study habits. Some common causes include poor time management skills, distractions from technology or social media, lack of interest in the subject, and feeling overwhelmed by the workload. Additionally, students may not have been taught effective study techniques or may not have a proper study space.

3. How can I overcome procrastination and laziness in my studying?

Overcoming procrastination and laziness can be challenging, but there are several strategies that can help. First, try breaking down your studying into smaller, manageable tasks. Set specific goals and deadlines for each task, and reward yourself once you complete them. Additionally, eliminate distractions and find a quiet, organized study space. Lastly, try to find ways to make studying more enjoyable, such as incorporating study groups or using study aids like flashcards.

4. Are there any long-term consequences of bad study habits?

Yes, there can be long-term consequences of bad study habits. Continuously struggling to stay on top of schoolwork and perform well academically can lead to a lack of motivation and self-confidence. This can also affect future opportunities, such as college admissions or job opportunities. Bad study habits can also carry over into other aspects of life, making it difficult to achieve success in various areas.

5. How can I develop good study habits and maintain them?

Developing and maintaining good study habits takes time and effort, but it is worth it in the long run. Start by setting specific goals and creating a study schedule. Find a study method that works best for you, whether it's taking notes, using flashcards, or teaching the material to someone else. Make sure to eliminate distractions and take breaks when needed. Lastly, don't be too hard on yourself if you slip up, just acknowledge the mistake and try to improve for the next study session.