Wave-Particle Behavior: Exploring the Paradox of Photon Paths

• Thread starter KKHausman
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Behavior
In summary, wave-particle behavior refers to the concept that particles can exhibit both wave-like and particle-like properties. This is considered a paradox because waves and particles are thought to have fundamentally different behaviors. Some examples of wave-particle behavior include the double-slit experiment and the photoelectric effect. The wave-particle duality principle is closely related to this behavior and helps us understand and explain it. Wave-particle behavior has implications for our understanding of the physical world, challenging our traditional theories and suggesting a more complex behavior for particles. Scientists study and explore this paradox through experiments and mathematical models, such as quantum mechanics.
KKHausman
I have seen a number of discussions and articles regarding the seeming disparity between the behavior of photons through the traditional "two slit" experiment. As I understand this issue, quanta of light will interact in a reinforcing/cancelling wave interference pattern until the apparatus is configured to allow determination of the path taken by the photon. Even when this capability is not used to determine which path has been taken, the quanta now scatter in a particle-like manner.

I have read a number of critical examinations of the variance between these two behaviors, identifying the problem of a photon's ability to follow both paths when no determinism of path is possible while each will follow a single path when the potential is present - even when the photon will not encounter the apparatus allowing this determination until well after passing through the mechanism allowing the photon to pass along one or both paths.

If my understanding to this point is correct, I would offer an observation for consideration: It would seem that a photon, traveling at C, would experience no subjective temporal duration between emission and absorbtion (based on the relativistic effects on time passage). If this is the case, then both behaviors fit the statement that "a photon will follow all available paths as they will exist between emission and absorbtion".

Within this model, if no mechanism is present for determination of a photon's path between its emission and absorbtion, the photon can travel along all possible paths and so generate the interference pattern suitable to a wave. The presence of a mechanism for determination at any point between emission and absorbtion would then cause the photon to travel along a determinable path, and so generate the observed scattering instead.

It would seem that a photon's period of travel between emission and absorbtion is more an artifact of our own observational position rather than a state that would apply to the photon's own "subjective" temporal duration (this term is not used to suggest the photon has a cognitive faculty). Unless I have missed something, emission, transit and absorbtion should occur as a singular event without temporal duration existing for the photon.

I would welcome any comments in this regard. Thank you all for your time.

K. Hausman

NOTE: This post is a duplicate of that entered within Dr. Kaku's forums area on the 8th of May. Having obtained no feedback in that area, the text has been reposted in the open forum area.

Physics news on Phys.org

Dear K. Hausman,

Thank you for your post and for your interest in the behavior of photons in the two slit experiment. I can understand your confusion and interest in this topic.

Firstly, your understanding of the traditional two slit experiment is correct. When there is no apparatus in place to determine which path the photon takes, it behaves as a wave and creates an interference pattern. However, when a mechanism is present to determine the path, the photon behaves as a particle and creates a scattering pattern.

Your observation that a photon experiences no subjective temporal duration between emission and absorption is an interesting one. It is true that from the perspective of the photon, there is no passage of time as it travels at the speed of light. However, this does not necessarily explain the behavior of the photon in the two slit experiment.

The concept of wave-particle duality, which is observed in the behavior of photons, is a fundamental principle of quantum mechanics. It states that particles can exhibit both wave-like and particle-like behavior, depending on the experimental setup. This is not just a result of our observational position, but a fundamental property of particles at the quantum level.

In the case of the two slit experiment, the photon behaves as a wave when there is no apparatus in place to determine its path because it exists in a state of superposition, meaning it can exist in multiple states simultaneously. Only when the photon is observed or measured does it collapse into a single state, behaving as a particle.

In summary, while your observation about the subjective temporal duration of a photon is correct, it does not fully explain the behavior of photons in the two slit experiment. The concept of wave-particle duality and the principles of quantum mechanics are necessary to fully understand the behavior of particles at the quantum level.

I hope this helps to clarify your understanding of this topic. Thank you again for your interest and for your thought-provoking post.

Thank you for sharing your observations and thoughts on the paradox of photon paths. I agree that the behavior of photons can be puzzling and seems to contradict our understanding of particles and waves. Your explanation of a photon's ability to follow all available paths until a mechanism is present for determination is an interesting perspective.

However, I would like to offer a different interpretation that may also help to reconcile this paradox. It is important to note that the two-slit experiment is just one way of observing the behavior of photons, and it is not the only way. In fact, the behavior of photons can be explained by different mathematical models depending on the experimental setup.

One possible explanation for the wave-like behavior of photons in the two-slit experiment is the concept of superposition. According to quantum mechanics, a particle can exist in multiple states at the same time until it is observed or measured. In this case, the photon can be thought of as existing in a superposition of all possible paths until it is detected at the screen.

On the other hand, the particle-like behavior of photons can be explained by the concept of collapse of the wave function. When a measurement is made to determine the path of the photon, the wave function collapses and the photon is forced to take a specific path. This is similar to how a coin toss can have multiple possible outcomes until it is observed and its state is determined.

In summary, the paradox of photon paths can be explained by different interpretations and mathematical models. While your explanation offers an interesting perspective, there are other theories and concepts that also provide insight into this phenomenon. I hope this helps to further the discussion and understanding of wave-particle behavior. Thank you for your contribution to this topic.

1. What is wave-particle behavior and why is it considered a paradox?

Wave-particle behavior refers to the concept that particles, such as photons, can exhibit properties of both waves and particles. This is considered a paradox because waves and particles are thought to have fundamentally different behaviors and characteristics.

2. What are some examples of wave-particle behavior?

One example of wave-particle behavior is the double-slit experiment, where particles can exhibit interference patterns like waves. Another example is the photoelectric effect, where particles can transfer energy like waves.

3. How is the wave-particle duality principle related to wave-particle behavior?

The wave-particle duality principle states that particles can exhibit properties of both waves and particles, and this is closely related to wave-particle behavior. The principle helps us understand and explain the observed behaviors of particles that exhibit wave-particle behavior.

4. What implications does wave-particle behavior have for our understanding of the physical world?

Wave-particle behavior challenges our traditional understanding of particles and waves, and it highlights the limitations of our current scientific theories. It also suggests that the behavior of particles may be more complex and nuanced than we previously thought.

5. How do scientists study and explore the paradox of photon paths?

Scientists use various experiments, such as the double-slit experiment and the photoelectric effect, to observe and analyze the behavior of particles. They also use mathematical models and theories, such as quantum mechanics, to explain and make predictions about wave-particle behavior.