Researches in engineering and science

In summary, the conversation discusses the speaker's interest in pursuing a career in research in the field of engineering, specifically mechanical engineering. They express doubts about their abilities and inclination towards math and physics and seek advice from others who have studied in both fields. The conversation also touches on the differences in research methods between engineering and physics, as well as the level of mathematics required for graduate level studies in both fields. The speakers also discuss the misconception that engineering research is not as conceptual as physics research and explain the importance and complexity of engineering concepts and equations.
stephen
Hi all!
I am currently doing a mechanical engineering degree.
I am considering to further my study after graduate and hopefully get a lecturership in university. It would be fantastically great for me to be a researcher in this field. But I am doubting my own ability and my inclination. I would see myself as a person being proficient at analyzing and understanding abstract concepts. So, it would seem more appropritate for me to go for math or physics. But for some reasons, I stayed with mechanical engineering.
I would like to know in research level of engineering, are the method of research and the abilities required very different from that of physics? Can anyone kindly share your experience and comments on this?

Physics news on Phys.org
i am a bit like you. my first degree is aerospace engineering which is similar to mechanical engineering nature, and my master degree is in physics. i was about to do research in aerospace but withdrew.

i found my maths is extremely crap, and a lot of physics stuff at graduate level need maths completely alien to engineeiring.

i studied in UK, and did further maths and applied further maths and i got straight A. when i did my bachelor it seemed i gained no mathematical skills at all apart from vector calculus. and this is a disaster if you want to do physics. i learned aerodynamics, structures, finite element analysis, cfd stuff and (lucky with cfd you learn a bit of tensor) this is useful, but not really the level of maths physicist need for their research. if you ever try to learn quantum mechanics or general relativity, then you know what i mean.

o yah, about the nature/method of research, i feel it depends on the reasearch you do. Engineering research can be very conceptual physics, but most industrially relevant research are probably not. for example in aerospace, if we do aerodyanmic cfd research, then the physical concept only goes as far as navier stokes, and it will never dwelve into atomic level in treating the air molecules - if we do - the numerical method will be too expensive and industrially non-feasible. in physics on the other hand, you go the other way. this simplification implies error in numerical analysis, and your job (if you are engineer researcher) is to refine the method. unlikely for you to refine it to molecular level modelling or resort to particle physics .

basically it is difficult invent new concept in mechaianical engineering.. or maybe my experience was too limited.

later i post another reply and another story . sorry.

sniffer said:
i studied in UK, and did further maths and applied further maths and i got straight A. when i did my bachelor it seemed i gained no mathematical skills at all apart from vector calculus. and this is a disaster if you want to do physics. i learned aerodynamics, structures, finite element analysis, cfd stuff and (lucky with cfd you learn a bit of tensor) this is useful, but not really the level of maths physicist need for their research. if you ever try to learn quantum mechanics or general relativity, then you know what i mean.

I must disagree with you here. I don't know how it is to study Aero in UK. Maybe your mathematical load is small during it. If one studies Aero or Mech Engineer in a good faculty, he/she will be taught about lots of maths and physics. Maybe our knowledge about those two matters are not as deep as the knowledge acquired by a physicist or a mathematician, but in concrete fields such as the two king subjects of engineering physics (Structural-Material Eng. and Fluid Mech) we are over any physicist/mathematician, because we know both application to interesting industrial problems and just the base/concept of the stuff.

sniffer said:
o yah, about the nature/method of research, i feel it depends on the reasearch you do. Engineering research can be very conceptual physics, but most industrially relevant research are probably not. for example in aerospace, if we do aerodyanmic cfd research, then the physical concept only goes as far as navier stokes, and it will never dwelve into atomic level in treating the air molecules - if we do - the numerical method will be too expensive and industrially non-feasible. in physics on the other hand, you go the other way. this simplification implies error in numerical analysis, and your job (if you are engineer researcher) is to refine the method. unlikely for you to refine it to molecular level modelling or resort to particle physics .

basically it is difficult invent new concept in mechaianical engineering.. or maybe my experience was too limited.

Do not diminish the physics/maths that are needed for understanding aerodynamics or combustion. Maybe in these subjects engineers are dealing with the most difficult sets of equations on earth, despites such researchers are not mathematicians nor physicists. Little is known about them, in spite of the large number of scientific articles published so far. Perhaps the results about a combustion research are not as spectacular as the discovery of a new atomic particle, but also they could have inmmediate and practical applications, as everything given birth by engineering. It is not difficult to invent a new concept in mechanical engineering, see all articles published by specialized publications (ASME, AAIA, Journal of Chemical eng, Journal of Fluid Mech, Combustion Science publications...). Actual Aeronautics, Heat Engines and Propulsion advances are based in many of these articles, which by the way have a great and solid mathematical base.

What is the purpose of research in engineering and science?

The purpose of research in engineering and science is to expand our knowledge and understanding of the natural world, discover new technologies and solutions to problems, and improve the quality of life for individuals and society as a whole.

What are the steps involved in conducting research in engineering and science?

The steps involved in conducting research in engineering and science typically include identifying a problem or question, conducting a literature review, formulating a hypothesis, designing and conducting experiments, analyzing data, and drawing conclusions.

What are the different types of research methods used in engineering and science?

The different types of research methods used in engineering and science include experimental research, observational research, survey research, and theoretical research. Each method has its own strengths and limitations, and the choice of method depends on the research question and available resources.

How important is collaboration in conducting research in engineering and science?

Collaboration is crucial in conducting research in engineering and science. Working with others allows for the exchange of ideas, resources, and expertise, which can lead to more innovative and comprehensive research. Collaborations also help to ensure the accuracy and reliability of research findings.

What are some ethical considerations in conducting research in engineering and science?

Some ethical considerations in conducting research in engineering and science include obtaining informed consent from participants, protecting the rights and welfare of participants, avoiding conflicts of interest, and ensuring the responsible use of resources. It is important for researchers to adhere to ethical guidelines and principles to ensure the integrity and credibility of their research.