Standard Heat of Formation Question

In summary, the question is asking to calculate the standard heat of formation of acetaldehyde, CH_{3}CHO, using given information about the formation of water and carbon dioxide. After coming up with an equation to calculate the heat of reaction, the final answer is -166kJ. However, it should be noted that the reaction must have been carried out in standard conditions of 298K and 1atm. To learn how to write equations in the forums, there are tutorials available in the main chemistry section.
erok81
Ok, on this one I have no idea where to start. I could do all the homework ones, but have no clue even where to start on this. To me it seems backwards, but who knows. Here is the question:
Calculate the standard heat of formation of acetaldehyde, [tex]CH_{3}CHO[/tex] , given the following information:

[tex]CH_{3}CHO(g)+5/2O_{2}(g)\rightarrow2H_{2}0(l)+2CO_{2}(g)\triangle H=-1194kJ[/tex]

[tex]\triangle H{_f^\circ}~H_{2}O (g) [/tex] = -286 kJ/mol

[tex]\triangle H{_f^\circ}~CO_{2} (g)[/tex] = -394 kJ/mol

I'd show what I have so far, but honestly I have no idea what I am doing with this one.

Thanks for the help.:biggrin:

I'll probably have to end up redoing the LaTeX stuff because I can never seem to get it to work. It always says reload page in a moment in the preview.:confused:

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
Oooh, wait a second.:!)

Is it possible to just calculate the heat of reaction using the below equation, rather than breaking it into separate reactions?

[tex] \triangle H{_f^\circ}=\sum~n~\triangle H{_f^\circ}(products) ~-~\sum~m~\triangle H{_f^\circ}(reactants) [/tex]

If so, do you just subtract the reactants from the products?

Or am I even more lost than I was when I first posted this?:confused:

If it is possible that way, I come up with:

[(2x-286)+(2x-394)] - [-1194+(5(0)] = -166kJ

Last edited:
You have the equation/answer right, but make sure that the reaction was carried out in standard conditions. That reaction could be carried out in 300K and 200kPa for all we know. It's probably right anways. If it's not the case we have a whole can of worms to open here.

By the way, how do you use the equation writer in the forums?

you're answer seems fine, assuming that's gaseous water in the equation.

GCT said:
you're answer seems fine, assuming that's gaseous water in the equation.

Hmm...maybe I did it wrong then. Because in the original equation it says the water is a liquid. I shouldn't be too hard, it is only from Chem 1210. I don't get any points for it so if it's wrong, I'll find out on Tuesday.

Umabel said:
You have the equation/answer right, but make sure that the reaction was carried out in standard conditions. That reaction could be carried out in 300K and 200kPa for all we know. It's probably right anways. If it's not the case we have a whole can of worms to open here.

It is most likely standard conditions, because there wasn't anything special listed in the question. Usually when it is something like that she lists it.

As far as writing equations, if you go to the main chemistry section, or any of the other sections, there are "stickeys" that have tutorials on how to use it. In the title is should have something to do with LaTeX. Although it usually takes me a few edits until I have the equation right.:rofl:

Thanks for the help, both of you. It is nice when you actually get a problem right, when it seems like a difficult one. I thought I had no idea what I was doing with it.

Umabel said:

standard condition means 298k and 1atm.are u sure it is 200kpa

Never said it was. You're right Shravan, it's 298K and 1atm.

1. What is the standard heat of formation?

The standard heat of formation, also known as the standard enthalpy of formation, is the change in enthalpy that occurs when one mole of a compound is formed from its constituent elements in their standard states at a pressure of 1 bar.

2. How is the standard heat of formation calculated?

The standard heat of formation is calculated by taking the difference between the standard enthalpy of the products and the standard enthalpy of the reactants. This value is then adjusted for the number of moles involved in the reaction.

3. Why is the standard heat of formation important?

The standard heat of formation is important because it is used to determine the stability of a compound. A more negative value indicates a more stable compound, while a positive value indicates a less stable compound.

4. What are some factors that influence the standard heat of formation?

The standard heat of formation can be influenced by temperature, pressure, and the presence of other substances. It can also be affected by the state of the reactants and products, such as whether they are in solid, liquid, or gas form.

5. How is the standard heat of formation used in thermodynamics?

The standard heat of formation is used in thermodynamics to calculate the change in enthalpy for a given chemical reaction. This allows scientists to predict whether a reaction will be exothermic or endothermic, and to determine the amount of heat that will be released or absorbed.