What are some fun or offbeat physics books that are still high quality physics?

In summary, the conversation is about a person looking for recommendations on a physics-related book as a gift for their boyfriend's birthday. They express their frustration with the quality of books they have found so far and ask for suggestions for higher-quality, offbeat, or unusual physics books. Several options are given, including "Evolution of Physics" by Einstein and Infeld, "Black Holes and Time Warps" by Kip Thorne, and books by George Gamow and Isaac Asimov. The conversation ends with a recommendation for "The Flying Circus of Physics" by Jearl Walker.
Kalibasa
I know this is a little strange to ask on a forum but... I don't know where else to ask! My boyfriend is a physicist and I want to get him some fun book relating to it for his birthday, but most of the books I found looked like they were poor quality ("New York Times bestsellers" written by non-physicists, or really vague and sensationalistic books about time travel).

I want something that is higher-quality, and it can be at an advanced level. Can you think of any bizarre, lighthearted or off-topic books that are still true physics books, books that you would approve of or enjoy?

Thanks!

Physics news on Phys.org
Evolution of Physics by Einstein and Leopold Infeld. It can be read by everyone and yet manages to be no-nonsense.

Kip Thorne's book "Black Holes and Time Warps" is very good. It is not a book devoted to time travel. Kip Thorne is a legendary physicist on the level of Stephen Hawking. I have read this book numerous times. One of the best.

Thanks
Matt

Thank you all so much! These look good, I'm buying three of them. Maybe someday I'll read them too, but I'm a little busy with ochem and biochem right now... :(

You say he's a physicist; is he a student, Phd, or... ?

Any Book my Philip Ball! I haven't read his latest one, but e.g. H2O is a very good book.

I have to second "Black Holes and Time Warps."

But he might have it.

Anything by George Gamow! Very entertaining but enlightening at the same time. Plus, his books are very cheap. Just do a quick search on Amazon (note all the extremely high reviews). I recommend:
1) Gravity
2) Thirty Years That Shook Physics
3) One Two Three ... Infinity
4) Any of the Mr. Tompkins books

Gamow was one of the top physicists of the 20th century, but had a fantastic sense of humor. His writing is very fun and easy to read, but contains lots of information.

Another suggestion is Understanding Physics by Isaac Asimov (the author of I, Robot).

The Flying Circus of Physics, by Jearl Walker.

Vanadium 50 said:
The Flying Circus of Physics, by Jearl Walker.

I second this one. Simply fantastic book, going over a large variety of topics found in the usual undergrad syllabus. Quite entertaining to read.

1. What makes a physics book "fun" or "offbeat"?

The definition of a "fun" or "offbeat" physics book can vary from person to person, but generally it refers to a book that presents complex concepts in a more engaging and creative manner. This could include using humor, pop culture references, or interactive elements to make the content more enjoyable for the reader.

2. Are these types of books still considered high quality physics literature?

Yes, a book can be both entertaining and scientifically accurate. In fact, many acclaimed physicists have written books that incorporate humor and unconventional approaches to teaching physics. These books can still provide valuable information and insights into the field of physics.

3. Can these books be understood by someone without a strong background in physics?

It depends on the specific book and the individual's level of understanding. Some "fun" or "offbeat" physics books are written for a general audience and do not require prior knowledge of physics. However, others may assume a basic understanding of physics concepts and terminology.

4. What are some examples of popular "fun" or "offbeat" physics books?

There are many great physics books that incorporate humor and unique approaches to teaching the subject. Some popular examples include "Surely You're Joking, Mr. Feynman!" by Richard Feynman, "The Physics of Superheroes" by James Kakalios, and "How to Teach Quantum Physics to Your Dog" by Chad Orzel.

5. Are these books suitable for educational purposes?

Yes, "fun" or "offbeat" physics books can be a great supplement to traditional textbooks and lectures. They can help make complex concepts more accessible and engaging for students, and can also provide a different perspective on the subject. However, they should not be relied upon as the sole source of information for educational purposes.