Electric Engineering Curriculum no programming class?

In summary, the Bachelor of Science in Electrical Engineering program at the University of South Florida does not require any programming classes. However, it is recommended to have knowledge of various programming languages for certain courses such as Electrical Engineering Computing Methods, Microprocessors, and the two Electronics classes. The university may assume that students will acquire programming skills on their own as needed.
SuperMiguel
Electric Engineering Curriculum no programming class?

http://www2.eng.usf.edu/studentServices/docs/guides/Curriculum20092010.pdf

So if you open that pdf and go to page 8 "Bachelor of Science in Electrical Engineering" i don't need to take any programming class? how come??

Last edited by a moderator:
Physics news on Phys.org

That does seem odd. For my program I have to take 2 programming classes minimum.

deadkitty said:
That does seem odd. For my program I have to take 2 programming classes minimum.

Which ones?

They probably figure you will pick it up on your own. You'll probably need to know a little about a few different languages. Programming isn't really something you can teach. you can teach algorithms and such but actual programming you just sort of learn as you go.

I have programming for engineers which has a pre-req of C++ programming, and I also also have to have Lab-View programming.

I see at least two:
  • Electrical Engineering Computing Methods
  • Microprocessors

...And probably the two "Electronics" classes as well. Unfortunately, they probably won't be programming classes per se, but rather ones where you're just expected to pick up whatever language they're programming in (I'd suspect MATLAB / C / Fortran for Computing Methods, and Assembly or C for Microprocessors and the Electronics classes).

I had one basic programming course (this has since been discontinued in favour of MATLAB programming and numerical methods), and took an elective C++ course. You just have to pick the programming stuff up on your own (should it actually pique your curiosity).

Last edited:

1. What is the purpose of an electric engineering curriculum that does not include a programming class?

The purpose of an electric engineering curriculum without a programming class is to focus on the core concepts and principles of electrical engineering, such as circuit design, electronics, and electromagnetism. This type of curriculum is more suitable for students who are interested in the theoretical and mathematical aspects of electrical engineering, rather than the practical applications through programming.

2. Will I still be able to learn programming skills through other courses in the curriculum?

Yes, you may still learn some programming skills through other courses in the curriculum, such as computer science or robotics. However, the focus of these courses will be on programming as a tool to implement and test electrical engineering concepts, rather than on developing programming skills as a primary goal.

3. How important is programming for a career in electrical engineering?

Programming skills can be beneficial for a career in electrical engineering, especially in fields such as automation, control systems, and embedded systems. However, it is not essential for all types of electrical engineering roles, and many successful engineers excel in their careers without significant programming knowledge.

4. Can I still pursue a career in software engineering with an electric engineering curriculum that does not include a programming class?

Yes, you can still pursue a career in software engineering with an electric engineering curriculum that does not include a programming class. However, you may need to supplement your education with additional programming courses or self-study to gain the necessary skills and knowledge for this field.

5. Are there any advantages to an electric engineering curriculum without a programming class?

One advantage of an electric engineering curriculum without a programming class is that it allows students to focus on the fundamental principles of electrical engineering without the added complexity of programming. This can be beneficial for students who struggle with programming or prefer a more theoretical approach to learning.