Numerical Integration of 2nd Order DE

In summary, it is recommended to use a vector function and the 4th-order Runge-Kutta algorithm to numerically solve a system of 1st order equations. This can be done by defining new variables for the derivatives and substituting them into the original equations. Then, the RK algorithm can be applied simultaneously to all equations to find the values of the derivatives at each time step. This approach is more efficient and easier to implement compared to programming the algorithm explicitly.
strokebow
I am intending to use Runge Kutta 4th order to numerically solve a system of coupled equations:

[itex]\frac{d^{2}x}{dt^{2}}[/itex] = K1 * x * cos(t) + ( (K2 * [itex]\frac{dy}{dt}[/itex]) - [itex]\frac{dz}{dt}[/itex] )

[itex]\frac{d^{2}y}{dt^{2}}[/itex]= -K1 * y * cos(t) + ( (K2 * [itex]\frac{dz}{dt}[/itex]) - [itex]\frac{dx}{dt}[/itex] )

[itex]\frac{d^{2}z}{dt^{2}}[/itex]= ( (K2 * [itex]\frac{dx}{dt}[/itex]) - [itex]\frac{dy}{dt}[/itex] )

I'm really a bit stuck to be honest. I've only ever used RK4 on 1st order linear ODEs. I've been reading around a lot but not making much progress.

Initial values for [itex]\frac{dx}{dt}[/itex], [itex]\frac{dy}{dt}[/itex], [itex]\frac{dz}{dt}[/itex] are all known. The constants K are known.

Can anyone please help? Thanks

Physics news on Phys.org
Introduce the derivatives as new variables, say u=dx/dt and solve the system of 6 first order equations, where the second derivatives are replaced by the first derivatives du/dt etc.

so the last equation will be
dw/dt = k2*u - v
but you could also write it as:
dw/dt = k2*dx/dt - dy/dt

They will lead to the same solution, but their convergence behavior will be slightly different.

bigfooted said:
Introduce the derivatives as new variables, say u=dx/dt and solve the system of 6 first order equations, where the second derivatives are replaced by the first derivatives du/dt etc.

so the last equation will be
dw/dt = k2*u - v
but you could also write it as:
dw/dt = k2*dx/dt - dy/dt

They will lead to the same solution, but their convergence behavior will be slightly different.

Thanks very much for your input.

So I would define:
u = [itex]\frac{dx}{dt}[/itex]
v = [itex]\frac{dy}{dt}[/itex]
w = [itex]\frac{dz}{dt}[/itex]
and
[itex]\frac{du}{dt}[/itex] = [itex]\frac{d^{2}x}{dt^{2}}[/itex]
[itex]\frac{dv}{dt}[/itex] = [itex]\frac{d^{2}y}{dt^{2}}[/itex]
[itex]\frac{dw}{dt}[/itex] = [itex]\frac{d^{2}z}{dt^{2}}[/itex]

Therefore my equations become:
(1'): [itex]\frac{du}{dt}[/itex] = K[itex]_{1}[/itex] * x * cos(t) + ( (K[itex]_{2}[/itex] * v) - w )
(2'): [itex]\frac{dv}{dt}[/itex] = -K[itex]_{1}[/itex] * y * cos(t) + ( (K[itex]_{2}[/itex] * w) - u )
(3'): [itex]\frac{dw}{dt}[/itex] = ( (K[itex]_{2}[/itex] * u) - v )

Now for applying RK4 . . .
How would I do that simultaneously for both. I've found a couple of exams on the net but its quite difficult to follow since all the equations are inter-related.
How would I go about this for this case?

Any help is much appreciated!

bigfooted said:
Not sure what you mean by this big foot?

strokebow said:
Thanks very much for your input.

So I would define:
u = [itex]\frac{dx}{dt}[/itex]
v = [itex]\frac{dy}{dt}[/itex]
w = [itex]\frac{dz}{dt}[/itex]
and
[itex]\frac{du}{dt}[/itex] = [itex]\frac{d^{2}x}{dt^{2}}[/itex]
[itex]\frac{dv}{dt}[/itex] = [itex]\frac{d^{2}y}{dt^{2}}[/itex]
[itex]\frac{dw}{dt}[/itex] = [itex]\frac{d^{2}z}{dt^{2}}[/itex]

Therefore my equations become:
(1'): [itex]\frac{du}{dt}[/itex] = K[itex]_{1}[/itex] * x * cos(t) + ( (K[itex]_{2}[/itex] * v) - w )
(2'): [itex]\frac{dv}{dt}[/itex] = -K[itex]_{1}[/itex] * y * cos(t) + ( (K[itex]_{2}[/itex] * w) - u )
(3'): [itex]\frac{dw}{dt}[/itex] = ( (K[itex]_{2}[/itex] * u) - v )

Now for applying RK4 . . .
How would I do that simultaneously for both. I've found a couple of exams on the net but its quite difficult to follow since all the equations are inter-related.
How would I go about this for this case?

You now have a system of 6 1st-order equations to solve, (1')-(3') plus
(4'): [itex]\frac{dx}{dt} = u[/itex]
(5'): [itex]\frac{dy}{dt} = v[/itex]
(6'): [itex]\frac{dz}{dt} = w[/itex]

DrClaude said:
You now have a system of 6 1st-order equations to solve, (1')-(3') plus
(4'): [itex]\frac{dx}{dt} = u[/itex]
(5'): [itex]\frac{dy}{dt} = v[/itex]
(6'): [itex]\frac{dz}{dt} = w[/itex]

Thanks for your input.

I appreciate that we now have a system of 1st order DE's. Its just that trying to apply RK4 to this system concurrently is quite confusing.
I'm trying to follow the example given on the net (e.g., http://www.nsc.liu.se/~boein/f77to90/rk.html)

But am finding it tough to implement.

Especially since these equations are coupled with more than 2 variables. Like with eqn (1') its depending on both v and w.

Maybe this formulation will be more useful. Set a vector [tex]\mathbf{a} = (u,v,w,x,y,z)[/tex] and a vector function [tex]\mathbf{f}(\mathbf{a},t) = (\frac{du}{dt},\frac{dv}{dt},\frac{dw}{dt},\frac{dx}{dt},\frac{dy}{dt},\frac{dz}{dt})[/tex] The 4th-order RK algorithm then reads
[tex]
\mathbf{k}_1 = h \mathbf{f}(\mathbf{a}_n, t_n)
[/tex]
[tex]
\mathbf{k}_2 = h \mathbf{f}(\mathbf{a}_n + \frac{\mathbf{k}_1}{2}, t_n + \frac{h}{2})
[/tex]
[tex]
\mathbf{k}_3 = h \mathbf{f}(\mathbf{a}_n + \frac{\mathbf{k}_2}{2}, t_n + \frac{h}{2})
[/tex]
[tex]
\mathbf{k}_4 = h \mathbf{f}(\mathbf{a}_n + \mathbf{k}_3, t_n + h)
[/tex]
[tex]
\mathbf{a}_{n+1} = \mathbf{a}_n + \frac{\mathbf{k}_1}{6} + \frac{\mathbf{k}_2}{3} + \frac{\mathbf{k}_3}{3} + \frac{\mathbf{k}_4}{6}
[/tex]

Hope this helps.

DrClaude said:
Maybe this formulation will be more useful. Set a vector [tex]\mathbf{a} = (u,v,w,x,y,z)[/tex] and a vector function [tex]\mathbf{f}(\mathbf{a},t) = (\frac{du}{dt},\frac{dv}{dt},\frac{dw}{dt},\frac{dx}{dt},\frac{dy}{dt},\frac{dz}{dt})[/tex] The 4th-order RK algorithm then reads
[tex]
\mathbf{k}_1 = h \mathbf{f}(\mathbf{a}_n, t_n)
[/tex]
[tex]
\mathbf{k}_2 = h \mathbf{f}(\mathbf{a}_n + \frac{\mathbf{k}_1}{2}, t_n + \frac{h}{2})
[/tex]
[tex]
\mathbf{k}_3 = h \mathbf{f}(\mathbf{a}_n + \frac{\mathbf{k}_2}{2}, t_n + \frac{h}{2})
[/tex]
[tex]
\mathbf{k}_4 = h \mathbf{f}(\mathbf{a}_n + \mathbf{k}_3, t_n + h)
[/tex]
[tex]
\mathbf{a}_{n+1} = \mathbf{a}_n + \frac{\mathbf{k}_1}{6} + \frac{\mathbf{k}_2}{3} + \frac{\mathbf{k}_3}{3} + \frac{\mathbf{k}_4}{6}
[/tex]

Hope this helps.
Thanks for your help.

So (replacing the 'k's' from the RK4 algorithm with 'm's' and 'n's')

For the first step, would this be correct:
m1u = h x (1')
m1v = h x (2')
m1w = h x (3')

n1u = h x (4')
n1v = h x (5')
n1w = h x (6')

?

I'm not sure I follow you.

The "first step" is the calculation of [itex]\mathbf{k}_1[/itex]. The first element of [itex]\mathbf{f}(\mathbf{a}_n,t_n)[/itex] is
[tex]
\left.\frac{du}{dt}\right|_{t_n} = K_1 x_n \cos(t_n) + ( K_2 v_n - w_n )
[/tex]
so the first element of [itex]\mathbf{k}_1[/itex] is
[tex]
h \times \left[ K_1 x_n \cos(t_n) + ( K_2 v_n - w_n ) \right]
[/tex] and so on. For instance, the 4th element of [itex]\mathbf{k}_1[/itex] is
[tex]
u_n
[/tex]
Once you have calculated all six elements of [itex]\mathbf{k}_1[/itex], the "second step" is do the the same for [itex]\mathbf{k}_2[/itex], which will depend on the calculation of [itex]\mathbf{k}_1[/itex]. Once you have calculated all [itex]\mathbf{k}[/itex]'s, you can advance the solution one time step with the formula for [itex]\mathbf{a}_{n+1}[/itex].

The easiest way to implement this numerically is not to program it explicitly, bu to write a function that given an array of six values [itex](u,v,w,x,y,z)[/itex] and a value of [itex]t[/itex], returns an array of the six values [itex](du/dt,dv/dt,dw/dt,dx/dt,dy/dt,dz/dt)[/itex]. The RK integrator then just makes 4 calls to this function to calculate [itex]\mathbf{k}_1[/itex]-[itex]\mathbf{k}_4[/itex], and then the new values of [itex](u,v,w,x,y,z)[/itex].

DrClaude said:
I'm not sure I follow you.

The "first step" is the calculation of [itex]\mathbf{k}_1[/itex]. The first element of [itex]\mathbf{f}(\mathbf{a}_n,t_n)[/itex] is
[tex]
\left.\frac{du}{dt}\right|_{t_n} = K_1 x_n \cos(t_n) + ( K_2 v_n - w_n )
[/tex]
so the first element of [itex]\mathbf{k}_1[/itex] is
[tex]
h \times \left[ K_1 x_n \cos(t_n) + ( K_2 v_n - w_n ) \right]
[/tex] and so on. For instance, the 4th element of [itex]\mathbf{k}_1[/itex] is
[tex]
u_n
[/tex]
Once you have calculated all six elements of [itex]\mathbf{k}_1[/itex], the "second step" is do the the same for [itex]\mathbf{k}_2[/itex], which will depend on the calculation of [itex]\mathbf{k}_1[/itex]. Once you have calculated all [itex]\mathbf{k}[/itex]'s, you can advance the solution one time step with the formula for [itex]\mathbf{a}_{n+1}[/itex].

The easiest way to implement this numerically is not to program it explicitly, bu to write a function that given an array of six values [itex](u,v,w,x,y,z)[/itex] and a value of [itex]t[/itex], returns an array of the six values [itex](du/dt,dv/dt,dw/dt,dx/dt,dy/dt,dz/dt)[/itex]. The RK integrator then just makes 4 calls to this function to calculate [itex]\mathbf{k}_1[/itex]-[itex]\mathbf{k}_4[/itex], and then the new values of [itex](u,v,w,x,y,z)[/itex].

Thanks Dr C. Appreciate you taking time out to help me with this.

So, there are 6 equations for each step. i.e., k[itex]_{1}[/itex] has 6 equations. Writing them explicitly (I take your point that a generic function is best for programming but for now I am just trying to understand this solution):
[itex]k_{1}u = h (K_1 x \cos(t) + ( K_2 v - w ))
[/itex]

[itex]k_{1}v = h (-K_1 y \cos(t) + ( K_2 v - w ))
[/itex]

[itex]k_{1}w = h (K_2 u - v)
[/itex]

[itex]k_{1}u' = ?
[/itex]

[itex]k_{1}v' = ?
[/itex]

[itex]k_{1}w' = ?
[/itex]

When you said:
DrClaude said:
For instance, the 4th element of [itex]\mathbf{k}_1[/itex] is
[tex]
u_n
[/tex]

Do you mean that we just consider these (4th, 5th and 6th elements of the vector) to be constants?

Because we can derive expressions for u, v and w from (1'), (2') and (3')

Lets take it one step back. You converted your system of 3 2nd-order differential equations into a system of 6 first-order differential equations. You have increased the number of variables to 6, but that is a small price to pay compared with the gain 2nd to 1st order.

The equations now read:
[tex]\frac{du}{dt} = K_{1} x \cos(t) + ( K_{2} v - w )[/tex]
[tex]\frac{dv}{dt} = -K_{1} y \cos(t) + ( K_{2} w - u )[/tex]
[tex]\frac{dw}{dt} = (K_{2} u - v )[/tex]
[tex]\frac{dx}{dt} = u[/tex]
[tex]\frac{dy}{dt} = v[/tex]
[tex]\frac{dz}{dt} = w[/tex]

The first step is to calculate the elements of [itex]\mathbf{k}_1[/itex], which I will call [itex](u',v',w',x',y',z')[/itex].
[tex] u' = h \left[ K_{1} x_n \cos(t_n) + ( K_{2} v_n - w_n ) \right] [/tex]
[tex] v' = h \left[ -K_{1} y_n \cos(t_n) + ( K_{2} w_n - u_n ) \right] [/tex]
[tex]w' = h (K_{2} u_n - v_n )[/tex]
[tex]x' = h u_n[/tex]
[tex]y' = h v_n[/tex]
[tex]z' = h w_n[/tex]

Now, you need to calculate [itex]\mathbf{k}_2 = (u'',v'',w'',x'',y'',z'')[/itex].
[tex] u'' = h \left[ K_{1} \left( x_n + \frac{x'}{2}\right) \cos(t_n + \frac{h}{2}) + ( K_{2} \left(v_n + \frac{v'}{2} \right) - \left(w_n + \frac{w'}{2} \right) ) \right] [/tex]
and so on for the other variables. Finally, once you have all values [itex]u',u'',u''',u''''[/itex], you find
[tex]
u_{n+1} = u_n + \frac{u'}{6} + \frac{u''}{3} + \frac{u'''}{3} + \frac{u''''}{6}
[/tex]
and so on for the other variables.

Dr C. Thanks very much. That is very clear.

I'm going to have a go at writing it all out explicitly and then I'll post it on here.

Cheers!

1. What is numerical integration of 2nd order DE and why is it important in scientific research?

Numerical integration of 2nd order differential equations (DE) is a numerical method used to approximate the solution of a 2nd order DE. It is important in scientific research because many physical and natural phenomena can be described by 2nd order DEs, and obtaining an accurate solution is crucial for understanding and predicting these phenomena.

2. How is numerical integration of 2nd order DE different from analytical methods?

Numerical integration involves using numerical algorithms to approximate the solution of a DE, whereas analytical methods involve finding an exact mathematical expression for the solution. Numerical integration is often used when an analytical solution is not possible or when the DE is too complex to solve analytically.

3. What are some common numerical methods used for integrating 2nd order DEs?

Some common numerical methods used for integrating 2nd order DEs include the Euler method, the Runge-Kutta method, and the Adams-Bashforth method. These methods differ in their accuracy and speed, and the choice of method depends on the specific DE and the desired level of accuracy.

4. How do you determine the appropriate step size for numerical integration of 2nd order DEs?

The step size, or the size of the intervals used to approximate the solution, is an important factor in numerical integration. It should be small enough to achieve a desired level of accuracy, but not too small to significantly increase computational time. The appropriate step size can be determined by trial and error, or by using adaptive step size methods.

5. Can numerical integration of 2nd order DEs be used for systems of equations?

Yes, numerical integration can be extended to systems of 2nd order DEs. This involves approximating the solutions for each equation separately, and then using these solutions to obtain the solution for the entire system. However, the complexity and number of equations in the system can impact the accuracy and computational time of the numerical integration method.