Do 'Space Rainbows' Exist Outside of Planetary Atmospheres?

In summary, a friend's son who loves space recently learned about rainbows and was sad that there are no rainbows in space due to the lack of liquid water. However, it is possible for ice water in space to create a rainbow if there is enough sunlight. While we have not yet imaged a "space rainbow," there is evidence of other planets with liquid water that could potentially have rainbows.
BrowncoatsRule
My friend's son (age 5) absolutely loves space. It's great to see such a strong interest in science in kids that age. He calls me the astronaut guy since I told him I've wanted to be an astronaut since I was a kid, and that I also love space. We recently shared a discussion about the planets of the solar system, and how Earth is the only planet to have liquid water on its surface. I guess he had recently learned about rainbows in school, and knew that it was the water vapor in the atmosphere that allowed us to see rainbows after a storm. He told me he was sad because there was no water in space, and therefore there weren't any rainbows in space.

Now I know water exists in space, but as ice and gas rather than liquid water due to pressure and temperature limitations. His comment made me realize that I had never thought about whether rainbows exist in space outside of a planet's atmosphere. I suppose all a rainbow requires is a transparent material to refract the light, and ice water in space could certainly do that. Have we ever imaged a "space rainbow" before?

Astronomy news on Phys.org
BrowncoatsRule said:
I suppose all a rainbow requires is a transparent material to refract the light, and ice water in space could certainly do that.

No, the crystalline structure would not reflect/refract light in any systematic way, as water droplets in the air do so that wouldn't work.

Halo

Ice hexagonal crystals do form various haloes in atmosphere, like the 22 degree rings. Do these also work in space?

Earth is the only planet to have liquid water on its surface.

We have increasing evidence of other 'planets' with liquid water...any mass in space with atmospheric humidity can potentially have a rainbow...of course you need sunlight too.

1. Are there rainbows in space?

No, there are no rainbows in space as there is no atmosphere to refract and disperse sunlight into its component colors. Rainbows require water droplets in the air to form, which do not exist in the vacuum of space.

2. Can astronauts see rainbows in space?

No, astronauts cannot see rainbows in space for the same reason that there are no rainbows in space. Without an atmosphere, there is no medium for light to pass through and create the rainbow effect.

3. Are there any other phenomena in space that resemble rainbows?

Yes, there are other phenomena in space that produce similar visual effects as rainbows, such as prisms of light passing through ice crystals in Saturn's rings or the diffraction of light through dust clouds in the Milky Way. However, these are not true rainbows as they do not form due to the same principles as rainbows on Earth.

4. Could there be rainbows on other planets or moons in our solar system?

Possibly, if these planets or moons have an atmosphere and water present, there is a potential for rainbows to form. However, the conditions would need to be just right for this to occur, and it is still uncertain whether rainbows would have the same appearance as those on Earth.

5. Is it possible to create a rainbow in space?

Technically, it is possible to create a rainbow in space using artificial means, such as using a prism or diffraction grating to bend and disperse light. However, without an atmosphere and water droplets, it would not be a true rainbow in the natural sense.