Particles moving through the higgs field

In summary, the Higgs field is a universal field that interacts with particles and gives them mass. This interaction is seen as a disturbance in the potential of the field. Neutrinos, which were previously thought to be massless, also interact with the Higgs field. However, the exact mechanism of this interaction is still unknown.
anorred
I'm pretty new to quantum mechanics, but I find the idea of a higgs field very interesting. I'm not sure if I understand the phenomenon correctly.

I was wondering what happens to the vectors of the field when a photon passes through a point in space. Is the potential of the field disturbed in any way? How about when a particle with mass moves though the field?

I think this question will help me understand the concept better

Physics news on Phys.org
Hi annored,

I will try my best qualitatively without using the standard maths.

The Higgs field, let's say this is something sitting everywhere in the universe.

If I want to see if it is there, I somehow have to interact with it. One way this can happen is an interaction with fermion fields(for example an electron). When the particle interacts, we see this interaction as a mass for the electron. But since the Higgs field is everywhere , the electron is massive everywhere!

If you see a massless particle, it means it's interaction with the Higgs field is zero.

An interesting consequence of this logic is how we make neutrinos interact with the Higgs field. We see them to have mass, so they must interact with it. We don't know how this actually happens! (Though there are some good ideas which will be tested)

Likes 1 person
Just a small addition: the higgs field is scalar. The field values are not vectors (like the magnetic field would have them for example), they are scalar values.

Likes 1 person

1. What is the Higgs field?

The Higgs field is a theoretical concept in particle physics that is believed to give particles their mass. It is a fundamental field that permeates all of space and interacts with particles as they move through it.

2. How do particles interact with the Higgs field?

Particles interact with the Higgs field by gaining mass through a process known as the Higgs mechanism. As particles move through the Higgs field, they slow down and interact with the Higgs boson, which gives them mass.

3. What is the role of the Higgs boson in the Higgs field?

The Higgs boson is the particle associated with the Higgs field. It is responsible for giving particles their mass through the Higgs mechanism. Its discovery in 2012 confirmed the existence of the Higgs field.

4. How does the Higgs field affect the behavior of particles?

The Higgs field affects the behavior of particles by slowing them down and giving them mass. This means that particles with mass will have a harder time moving through the Higgs field compared to particles without mass. The Higgs field also contributes to the stability of the universe by preventing particles from moving at the speed of light.

5. Is the Higgs field responsible for all particle masses?

No, the Higgs field does not give all particles their mass. Only particles that interact with the Higgs field through the Higgs mechanism will gain mass. Other particles, such as photons, do not interact with the Higgs field and therefore do not gain mass.