Concentration of Ions in Ba(OH)2 + NiSO4 Reaction

In summary, the question asks for the concentration of ions after a reaction between 25.00 mL of .1857 M Ba(OH)2 and 30.00 mL of .2228M NiSO4. The final volume is the sum of the initial volumes. Using the reaction equation, the concentrations of Ni2+ and SO42- are found to be .03629M. The concentration of [Ba2+] is [OH-] is approximately zero. To find these concentrations, an ICE chart is used and the moles of Ba(OH)2 are subtracted from the moles of NiSO4 and divided by the total volume. The solubility constant equation is also used in finding the final concentrations.
KD
While waiting for my other post to be moved, I'm putting this question up again.
25.00 mL of .1857 M Ba(OH)2 reacts with 30.00mL of .2228M NiSO4. Find the concentration of all ions after the reaction assuming that final volume is the sum of the initial volumes.
Ba(OH)2 + NiSO4 -> BaSO4 + Ni(OH)2
The answer is .03629M Ni2+ and .03629M SO42- [Ba2+] = [OH-] is about zero. How are these answers found? How would the concentrations change after the reaction? Please help. No specifics are needed just a general guide to figure this out. I may regret saying that. :redface:

Physics news on Phys.org
What will precipitate, effectively removing ions from the solution?

Show your work

-First find the initial concentrations.

-Use the reaction equation to account for stoichiometry, but first you'll need to consider the solubility constant of ____

-Using the solubility constant equation, find the final concentrations.

Okay, I get it now. Thanks for your help. To solve this I set up an ICE chart. Since Ba(OH)2 is the limiting reactant, all the moles of that will be used. So I would subtract those moles from the moles of the NiSO4 and divide that by .055 L (the total volume) to get the concentration. I don't have my book right in front of me, but I'm pretty sure that is what I did.

What is the concentration of ions in a Ba(OH)2 + NiSO4 reaction?

The concentration of ions in a chemical reaction refers to the amount of ions present in a given volume of solution. In the case of a Ba(OH)2 + NiSO4 reaction, the concentration of ions will depend on the initial concentrations of the reactants and the stoichiometry of the reaction. It can be calculated using the molarities of the reactants and the balanced chemical equation.

How do you calculate the concentration of ions in a Ba(OH)2 + NiSO4 reaction?

To calculate the concentration of ions in a Ba(OH)2 + NiSO4 reaction, you will need to know the molarities of the reactants and the balanced chemical equation. From the equation, you can determine the ratio of ions produced for every mole of reactant consumed. Then, using the molarities, you can calculate the concentration of each ion in the final solution.

What factors can affect the concentration of ions in a Ba(OH)2 + NiSO4 reaction?

The concentration of ions in a Ba(OH)2 + NiSO4 reaction can be affected by several factors such as the initial concentrations of the reactants, temperature, pressure, and the presence of other substances in the solution. Changes in these factors can alter the rate and extent of the reaction, thus affecting the final concentration of ions.

Why is the concentration of ions important in a Ba(OH)2 + NiSO4 reaction?

The concentration of ions in a chemical reaction is important because it affects the rate and extent of the reaction. In the case of a Ba(OH)2 + NiSO4 reaction, the concentration of ions will determine the amount of products formed and the overall efficiency of the reaction. It is also important in determining the properties and behavior of the resulting solution.

How can the concentration of ions in a Ba(OH)2 + NiSO4 reaction be measured experimentally?

The concentration of ions in a Ba(OH)2 + NiSO4 reaction can be measured experimentally using various analytical techniques such as titration, spectrophotometry, and ion chromatography. These methods involve quantifying the amount of ions present in a given volume of solution, either directly or indirectly. The choice of method will depend on the type and concentration of ions present in the solution.