Tips for Combating Laziness & Avoiding Distractions

• Thread starter Wishbone
  • Start date
In summary, some tips for going from a lazy student to a good one and avoiding distractions include surrounding yourself with hard-working people, developing integrity as a student, and changing your mindset to prioritize your education. Other suggestions include trying Sudoku puzzles, finding a hobby or exercise, and avoiding negative influences. Ultimately, the key is to make a conscious decision to stop being lazy and putting in effort to improve.
Wishbone
Anyone have any good tips about going from a lazy student, to a good one, and how to avoid distractions?

Physics news on Phys.org
Wishbone said:
Anyone have any good tips about going from a lazy student, to a good one, and how to avoid distractions?
When I was a student I was just plain terrified of the thought of being lumped in with the dumb kids who didn't do their homework everyday, and who attracted the wrong kind of attention from the teachers.

Motivation, passion. What are you interested in? What do you like to learn about even if you don't learn it in school?

I think the best way to avoid distractions is to become distracted with whatever you're studying at school, which will happen if you are interested in it. If you're in high school then i don't blame you since classes can be very uninteresting sometimes, and you just have to make yourself work harder. But if you're in college and don't seem to be motivated enough to do well, then maybe your major is not the one for you.

I'd help you, but I got to take a nap and watch some TV.

A lot of times, I find that laziness seeps in not because of a lack of overall interest, but a lack of (short term) motivation. For example, on certain days, you might not feel like doing homework, whether or not it's your favorite subject. Here are some suggestions:

• Surround yourself with non-lazy people and consider their hard-working nature as a virtue. Don't surround yourself with people who will convince you to do something other than your work. This might be hard if your friends are very lazy (story of my life). However, when you do, you'll find that your work ethic will improve and you'll find it second nature to work at a higher quality.

• Develop your integrity as a student. Your integrity as a student includes acknowledging the importance of your subject, getting to know your professors outside of 100+ seat lectures, and doing homework as though you are submitting it to someone and saying "this is an example of my competence." Sure, it's easy to get swept up in the idea that you're just an insignificant number and then bs a homework, but in the long run, you don't want to be content with just being an insignificant number, right?
Of course, this can be a bit idealistic. There are often unavoidable circumstances when you have no choice but to bs a homework (not enough time and grasping for partial credit). The way you change your habits is to establish a philosophy to live by, and hopefully, things will slowly change for the better.

Good luck

Wishbone said:

trying doing some sudoku puzzles to practice your patience. It might help.

^Where can I get some sudoku puzzles? >_>'

Sudoku puzzles can be found in the crossword section of your local newspaper, or at http://sudoku.com/

Jelfish said:
  • Surround yourself with non-lazy people and consider their hard-working nature as a virtue. Don't surround yourself with people who will convince you to do something other than your work. This might be hard if your friends are very lazy (story of my life). However, when you do, you'll find that your work ethic will improve and you'll find it second nature to work at a higher quality.
  • Develop your integrity as a student. Your integrity as a student includes acknowledging the importance of your subject, getting to know your professors outside of 100+ seat lectures, and doing homework as though you are submitting it to someone and saying "this is an example of my competence." Sure, it's easy to get swept up in the idea that you're just an insignificant number and then bs a homework, but in the long run, you don't want to be content with just being an insignificant number, right?
Of course, this can be a bit idealistic. There are often unavoidable circumstances when you have no choice but to bs a homework (not enough time and grasping for partial credit). The way you change your habits is to establish a philosophy to live by, and hopefully, things will slowly change for the better.
Good luck
On the spot man, follow this post, and you will achieve greatness. :biggrin: Its your environment, body and mind that influence your actions. I'm sure you're not quadriplegic.

Yeah I got to agree with Jellfish here. I remember when I was in high school and I started hanging out with kids who were doing well in school, I began to do well in school too.

Another sudoku website is: http://www.websudoku.com

mattmns said:
Yeah I got to agree with Jellfish here. I remember when I was in high school and I started hanging out with kids who were doing well in school, I began to do well in school too.

Another sudoku website is: http://www.websudoku.com
Heh, it was the other way around for me. Until I changed my attitude. The people you hang with can mess up your life man. :yuck:

Wishbone said:

Decide to stop being lazy.

Sounds to me like you're looking for an easy way to stop being lazy, which is completely going around the problem in the first place.

well everyone's lazy once in a while, I am not a lazy person in general, but thanks for that GREAT TIP, and no I am not looking for an easy way around laziness, if there was in easy way I wouldn't asking. But seriously, thanks to the others that gave real advice.

mmm...try exercising...or doing a hobby one hour a day...i liked playing pool for relaxation from studying it was a great stress reliever. Plus you learn a lot about physics.

1. How can I motivate myself to combat laziness and avoid distractions?

One way to motivate yourself is to set specific and achievable goals. Write down your goals and break them down into smaller, manageable tasks. This will give you a sense of accomplishment and keep you focused. It's also helpful to reward yourself for completing tasks or reaching milestones.

2. How can I avoid distractions while working or studying?

One tip is to create a designated workspace that is free from distractions, such as a quiet room or a library. Turn off your phone or put it on silent mode to minimize interruptions. It's also important to prioritize your tasks and avoid multitasking, as it can lead to more distractions and decreased productivity.

3. How can I stay motivated when facing a daunting or boring task?

Break the task into smaller, more manageable chunks and focus on one at a time. Set a timer for each chunk and take short breaks in between. This will help you stay focused and motivated. You can also try to make the task more enjoyable by listening to music or working with a friend.

4. How can I overcome procrastination and get started on my tasks?

Start by identifying the reasons why you are procrastinating. Is it because the task seems overwhelming or you lack interest? Once you understand the root cause, you can address it and find ways to make the task more manageable or engaging. You can also try breaking the task down into smaller, more achievable goals.

5. How can I maintain my motivation in the long term?

It's important to regularly reassess your goals and progress. Celebrate your accomplishments and reevaluate your strategies if you feel like they are not working. Surround yourself with supportive and motivated individuals, and don't be afraid to ask for help when you need it. Remember to also take breaks and prioritize self-care to avoid burnout.