The Evolution of Apes and Humans

• Thread starter pivoxa15
  • Start date
In summary, the documentary discussed Darwin's theory of evolution, stating that humans evolved from apes millions of years ago. However, some apes still exist today, leading to the question of why only some apes evolved into humans while others did not. It is a common misconception that humans evolved directly from apes, when in fact, both humans and apes evolved from a common ancestor. The documentary also mentioned that the different anthropoids thrived in different environments, which led to a divergence of the humanoid and chimp lines. The documentary was made by a professor of history and philosophy of science and was part of a series called 'Great Scientists.' The purpose of the film was to tell the life and achievements of Darwin, not to present the
Mk said:
Why can religion be so popular? Why is pseudoscience so popular?

I see what you are getting at. But what I had in mind when using the word popular was how creationism is so popular as a scientific subject, so popular that it is encouraged to be taught in all schools as science. Creationsim is surely not a science and if they are going to teach it than it should be included in religion, not science.

Last edited:
Biology news on Phys.org
pivoxa15 said:
I see what you are getting at. But what I had in mind when using the word popular was how creationism is so popular as a scientific subject, so popular that it is encouraged to be taught in all schools as science. Creationsim is surely not a science and if they are going to teach it than it should be included in religion, not science.

Yes, I have no problem with religion, I just don't approve of labelling it "science."
Chalk and cheese, anyone?

pivoxa15 said:
The word ape is a tricky one because most people tend to associate chimps and those types of animals - not us. This was the mistake I made and consequently started this thread. But now I know that the word ape has a technical definition which is the superfamily Hominoidea.

You got it. Loosely using the word "ape" was part of the problem. The other was picturing evolution as a linear progression (of entire species) rather than a branching of variations. The divergence of one group doesn't mean the whole species has to go with it.

From the evidence I have seen for the theory of evolution, it seems like a very supported theory. I don't understand why other theories like creationism can be so popular.

Sometimes from misunderstanding (evolution is complex, often gets minor treatment in schools unless you specialize in biology, and is poorly taught in many states).

Sometimes from competing world views (e.g., faith based views of the world vs. evidence based). This of course ties into many religious beliefs (fundamentalist/orthodox religions in particular...other religions have accepted the theory of evolution).

I wonder if there are any biologists who are creationists. If there are none than clearly, it should not deserve as much respect as it does.

Not many. However, there is a broad spectrum of what "creationism" could include...from those who completely reject evolution to those who accept evolution with divine guidance. (typically, it refers to those who reject evolution)

Creationsim is surely not a science and if they are going to teach it than it should be included in religion, not science.

Exactly.:approve:

Phobos said:
Not many. However, there is a broad spectrum of what "creationism" could include...from those who completely reject evolution to those who accept evolution with divine guidance. (typically, it refers to those who reject evolution)

Could you name professional biologists who reject evolution? I'd really like to know their reasons.

pivoxa15 said:
Could you name professional biologists who reject evolution? I'd really like to know their reasons.

Most famous names (professors who wrote popular books on http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Intelligent_design_movement" [Broken])...

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Michael_Behe" [Broken]...professor of biochemistry

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Jonathan_Wells" [Broken] ...professor(?) of molecular and cell biology

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Dean_H._Kenyon" [Broken] ...professor of biology

ID advocates proudly cite a list of 400 scientists who reject evolution...I'd be curious to see what fraction of that list is comprised of actual professional biologists. :smile:

Last edited by a moderator:
No this is an alltocommon misconception.

apes are our "cousins" sotospeak

NutriGrainKiller said:
No this is an alltocommon misconception.

apes are our "cousins" sotospeak

Objects that are classified as apes must belong to the superfamily Hominoidea. Many species belong to this superfamily. So yes some apes are our cousins such as chimps but we are also apes.