Explaining BPS Saturation in Superalgebras

• Thread starter AlphaNumeric
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Saturation
In summary: The mass of a particle in a properly BPS state is then the maximum mass that can be reached while maintaining the required unbroken supersymmetry.
AlphaNumeric
I've tried searching, but without much luck. Can someone please explain what it means for a state to be BPS saturated? It's in relation to a superalgebra [tex]\{ Q_{a},Q_{\dot{a}} \} = W \delta_{a\dot{a}}[/tex] and then the mass of a particle satisfying [tex]M \geq \frac{c_{1}}{\lambda}|W|[/tex] where lambda is the string coupling constant [tex]\lambda = e^{\phi}[/tex].

Any search I do for 'BPS states' comes out with some way over my head stuff.

I think it just means equality in the [tex]\geq[/tex] sign, but I want to be sure :)

Physics news on Phys.org
"BPS saturated" is indeed when the equality holds. "BPS states" refer to (quantum) states that have such a mass. The concept originated in quantum field theory and was later extended to supersymmetric and string theories.

Javier said:
The concept originated in quantum field theory and was later extended to supersymmetric and string theories.

Well, no. Though you're both right about saturation meaning that the inequality is an equality, BPS states are all about supersymmetry, the latter in fact having been discovered in the context of string theory (by Pierre Ramond).

So what are BPS states and what does the inequality mean? As you guys may know, supersymmetry is a kind of generalization of the usual Poincare group. In the context of the original question, one may view this generalization as involving the addition of a new kind of charge - supercharge Q - to the other charges of the Poincare group, these including the momentum , which generates spacetime translations, together with the generators of the lorentz group.

The addition of supersymmetry means that not only must states transform in the usual representations of the inhomogeneous lorentz (i.e. Poincare) group, but they also must be organized into representations labelled by the supercharges. The dimensions of these representations, which tell us how much unbroken supersymmetry there is, are determined by the relation between the invariant mass and the supercharges. In general, the Q are always less than or equal to the invariant mass m of a system. This upper bound on the supercharges is called the BPS bound.

The representations of lowest dimension - called ultrashort representations - occur when there is no unbroken supersymmetry (i.e., when all the supercharges are conserved). This is the case when all the Q equal m, i.e., when the BPS bound is completely saturated.

Proper BPS states are defined to be those that have some unbroken supersymmetry, by which is meant that some but not all of the supercharges are conserved.

1. What is BPS saturation in superalgebras?

BPS saturation is a phenomenon in superalgebras where the energy of a state reaches a minimum value, known as the BPS bound. This bound is determined by the charges of the state, which are associated with the symmetries of the superalgebra.

2. How does BPS saturation occur in superalgebras?

BPS saturation occurs when the energy of a state is minimized by satisfying certain conditions, such as having equal numbers of fermionic and bosonic degrees of freedom. This results in a state with the minimum possible energy for a given set of charges.

3. What is the significance of BPS saturation in superalgebras?

BPS saturation is significant because it allows for the study of states with minimal energy, which can provide insights into the underlying symmetries and structures of the superalgebra. It also plays a role in the study of supersymmetric theories, where BPS states are often the most stable and can provide important information about the dynamics of the theory.

4. Can BPS saturation be observed in real-world systems?

BPS saturation is a theoretical concept that has been applied to various physical systems, such as string theory and black holes. However, it is not something that can be directly observed in experiments. Instead, it is a useful tool for understanding the properties of these systems and making predictions about their behavior.

5. Are there any current applications of BPS saturation in superalgebras?

Yes, BPS saturation has been used in various areas of theoretical physics, including string theory, quantum field theory, and black hole physics. It has also been applied to areas outside of physics, such as mathematics and computer science, where the underlying principles of BPS states and superalgebras have proven to be useful tools for solving complex problems.