Exterior Derivative: A Visual Explanation

• Thread starter KarateMan
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Derivative
In summary, the exterior derivative is a way of measuring k-dimensional surfaces in a manifold. By Stokes' theorem, it can be seen as measuring the boundary of a region by applying a function to the boundary. Locally, it can be visualized by picturing little tiny regions and considering the ratio of the path integral to the area of the surface. This is often used to measure the "curl" of a vector field.
KarateMan
I would like to ask you about exterior derivative.

I have found the exterior derivative very difficult to visualize. Does it have anything to do with the ordinary derivative of a scalar function? What I mean is that the ordinary differentiation is the rate of change of the scalar function with respect to the variable. So the exterior derivative is also the rate of change of something? Or it is entirely something else? It simply doesn't seem to me that way. How can I visualize taking exterior derivative of a 1-form is a 2-form?

Physics news on Phys.org
Forms are functions. You don't visualize them: you visualize what they do.

A k-form is simply a way of measuring k-dimensional surfaces in your manifold.

By Stokes' theorem, [itex]\int_S d\omega = \int_{\delta S} \omega[/itex].

This tells you exactly what the exterior derivative does: dw measures a region by applying w to the boundary.

If you want to picture it locally, then just imagine little tiny regions. For example, let's work in 3-space.

Let w be the 2-form that measures how much of your surface is perpendicular to a certain vector field F. By picturing little tiny spheres, what do you think dw is?

Hint below:

Note that

[tex]\int_S \omega = \\int_S \vec{F} \cdot \hat{n} \, dA[/tex]

where n is the unit normal to your surface.

Last edited:
i think d of a one form measures by how much the field asociated to the one form fails to be conservative, i.e. how far the one form fails to be a gradient (locally).

this is a derivative of sorts. by looking at the stokes foprmula in hurkyls note, and dividing both siodes by the area of the small surface S, you are getting the ratio of the path integral on the right, to the area of the surface. hence taking the limit as the surface shrinks to a point, gives the rate of change of the path integral around discs centered at that point, i.e. the "curl" of then vector field there, wrt area.

this is the old fashioned point of view, as in books like L.Hopf, Partial differential equations of physics,

1. What is the exterior derivative?

The exterior derivative is a mathematical operator that maps differential forms to higher degree forms. It is a generalization of the gradient, divergence, and curl operators in vector calculus.

2. How is the exterior derivative visualized?

The exterior derivative can be visualized through the use of geometric objects called differential forms. These forms can represent various physical quantities such as velocity, acceleration, and force in a geometrically intuitive manner.

3. What is the importance of the exterior derivative in mathematics?

The exterior derivative plays a crucial role in differential geometry, topology, and physics. It provides a powerful tool for understanding and solving complex problems in these fields.

4. How does the exterior derivative relate to the fundamental theorem of calculus?

The exterior derivative is related to the fundamental theorem of calculus through the concept of integration. Just as the gradient, divergence, and curl operators are related to integration in vector calculus, the exterior derivative is related to integration of differential forms in differential geometry.

5. What are some practical applications of the exterior derivative?

The exterior derivative has many practical applications in various fields such as fluid dynamics, electromagnetism, and general relativity. It is used to model and solve problems involving complex systems and is essential for understanding the behavior of natural phenomena.