How does thrust affect takeoff performance for the F-14 tomcat?

In summary, thrust is the force that propels an airplane forward. The amount of thrust needed for takeoff depends on the weight of the aircraft. The F-14 tomcat has a maximum takeoff weight of 72,900 lb and its turbofans generate 13,810 lbf dry and 27,800 lbf with afterburner, which helps to accelerate the plane. The effectiveness of low bypass turbines used in high performance military aircraft at low speeds is a topic of interest, especially when compared to high bypass ratios used in airliners. The F-14 tomcat, being a naval aircraft, may also use steam catapults for takeoff from short runways on aircraft carriers.
DownSetDana
How does thrust work? Another question about top gun, I did some research on the F-14 tomcat and the Max takeoff weight: 72,900 lb, how does this relate to the amount of thrust needed. The turbofans generate 13,810 lbf dry, 27,800 lbf with afterburner (72 kN / 126 kN) each. I don't understand this..I'm extremely new to all this and would be extremely helpful if you can solve thie predicament for me

Physics news on Phys.org
Remember that the weight acts downward and thrust acts horizontally. The given thrust, F, will accelerate the plane. The amount of acceleration will depend on the takeoff weight.

Thrust

I did some research on the F-14 tomcat and the Max takeoff weight: 72,900 lb,
how does this relate to the amount of thrust needed.
The turbofans generate 13,810 lbf dry,
27,800 lbf with afterburner (72 kN / 126 kN) each.
I don't understand this..
I'm extremely new to all this
and would be extremely helpful if you can solve thie predicament for me
Civil dude mentioned the force components of the airplane, and lift may be your question focus?
I have a large book on the tomcat and recall within it that the F-14 can resume flight with much of one wing gone, but it is not with me currently to cite properly.
This NASA link: http://www.lerc.nasa.gov/WWW/K-12/airplane/thrust1.html" describes thrust as force, however, I am curious about how effective low bypass turbines (on many high performance military aircraft) are at low vehicle speed (that is takeoff) with respect to high bypass ratios (think of airliner turbines) for takeoff conditions. Also, note that the tomcat is naval and may be used with steam catapult assistance for short runway lengths on aircraft carriers.

Hope this helps.

Last edited by a moderator:

1. How does thrust work?

Thrust is a force that is generated by a propulsion system, such as a rocket engine or a jet engine. It is created by accelerating a large amount of mass in one direction, which in turn creates an equal and opposite force in the opposite direction.

2. What is the principle behind thrust?

According to Newton's Third Law of Motion, for every action, there is an equal and opposite reaction. In the case of thrust, the action is the acceleration of mass in one direction, and the reaction is the force that is generated in the opposite direction.

3. How do different types of propulsion systems create thrust?

Rocket engines use the principle of thrust by burning fuel and expelling it out of the back of the rocket at high speeds. Jet engines, on the other hand, use the intake of air, compression, and combustion to create a high-speed exhaust that generates thrust.

4. What factors affect the amount of thrust generated?

The amount of thrust generated is affected by the mass of the propellant, the speed at which it is expelled, and the efficiency of the propulsion system. The shape and design of the engine also play a role in determining the amount of thrust produced.

5. How is thrust measured?

Thrust is typically measured in Newtons, which is a unit of force in the International System of Units (SI). It can also be measured in pounds of force (lbf) or kilogram-force (kgf) in other systems of measurement.