Physics: distance, rate, time problem

In summary, the conversation discusses a physics question involving Julie's trip to her Grandmother's house. She drives half the distance at 40 mph and half at 60 mph on both the way there and back. The question asks for her average speed on each trip, which is 48 mph on the way there and 50 mph on the way back. The conversation also includes a discussion on how to calculate the time taken for each section of the journey.
rcmango
Hello, having trouble figuring this one out. Its a general physics question.

question: Julie drives 100 mi to Grandmother's house. On the way to Grandmother's Julie drives half the distance at 40 mph and half the distance at 60 mph. On her return trip, she drives half the time at 40 mph and half the time at 60 mph.

a. What is Julie's average speed on the way to Grandmothers house?
b. What is her average speed on the return trip?

answers: a:48mph b: 50 mph

my work: I've tried to come up with these answers and I'm not sure how to get the answer for a.

for b, all i did was use this: d = r*t
so, 100 = ((40 + 60)t)/2
which gave me 50. so 50mph?

i'm confused, I'm not conviced that I'm attempting these correctly, but i know there not challenging when you set them up right.

any help please. Thankyou.

Physics news on Phys.org
For a) You do need to know that average speed = (Total distance) divided by (total time taken). To find the total time taken, You do need to find the individual time taken for each section of the journey. Total distance is fixed at 100. To find total time.. Find the time taken while julie is traveling at 40 mph and at 60 mph then add them together.

Hope this helps.

Last edited:
okay i understand now. just as long as i solved the part b above correctly also.

i just did this: 50 = 40t
so trip is 1.25 hrs long

and 50 = 60t
so trip is .8333333.. hrs long

and then used the total trip time equation: 100 = r(1.25 + .83333..)

and got r = 48.00000... =D

thanks.

Last edited:
yep.that's correct now.

However, i do not really understand part b, what does the question mean by "half the time"? I think you would need to consult ur lecturer on that.

Last edited:
I think half the time mean for ## miles she driving at 40mph is half the time of the total time and another ## miles at half the time of total time in 60mph.

for instant if the trip is 100 miles and to complete that trip it takes a total of let say 60 minute so for 30 minute she drove 40 mph for a certain amount of distance and then for the next 30 minute she drove 60 mph to complete that 100 miles and 60 minute. that's what i think but not very sure.

1. What is the formula for solving distance, rate, time problems in physics?

The formula for solving distance, rate, time problems is d = rt, where d represents distance, r represents rate, and t represents time.

2. How do I know which units to use for distance, rate, and time in a physics problem?

In physics, distance is typically measured in meters (m), rate is measured in meters per second (m/s), and time is measured in seconds (s). However, it is important to always check the given units in the problem and convert them if necessary to ensure that all units are consistent.

3. Can I solve a distance, rate, time problem without knowing all three variables?

Yes, you can solve a distance, rate, time problem if you are given at least two of the variables and the formula d = rt. For example, if you are given the distance and rate, you can solve for time by rearranging the formula to t = d/r.

4. How can I check if my solution for a distance, rate, time problem is correct?

You can check the accuracy of your solution by plugging in the values into the original formula d = rt. If the answer you get is the same as the given distance, then your solution is correct.

5. Can I use the formula for distance, rate, time problems in other areas of science?

Yes, the formula d = rt can be used in various fields of science, such as chemistry and biology, to calculate different variables. However, it is important to note that the units used may vary depending on the specific application.