Question about Sound Waves - Help Needed

• Thread starter student85
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Sound
In summary: Sound waves are created by disturbances in the air, and the pressure variations move forward and backward.
student85
I have a question regarding sound waves. Can someone clear up the following if anything is wrong:
Sound waves have parts of high pressure and low pressure. The medium in which the sound is being transmitted vibrate backward and forward, being their maximum displacemente from rest "smax".
I get very confused with the terms because I believe there are two parts which need to be analyzed in waves: the movement of the medium and the movement of the wave. So, particles in the air go back and forths, while the wave goes only forth?
Damn sorry I think ur like "wow this guy is confusing himself even more." But I am really confused about sound waves. Can anybody give me some quick notes about the movement of sound in air. THANKS A LOT IN ADVANCE.

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
Sound is a disturbance in a physical medium (air). Sound waves in air are regions of pressure differences that move in tandem, but there is no net movement of the air. The movement of the pressure "trains" is far slower than the individual molecules in the air.

Thanks quinn. I didnt understand what you said about the zero net movement of the air. If there is no movement then how do high and low pressure sections form?

Consider waves on the ocean. The wave moves linearly (propagates), while individual molecules of water move only up and down (actually, kinda in an oval pattern). In the ocean and in sound, the movement of one molecule disturbs the molecule next to it, which causes that molecule to move, etc, etc, etc.

The air in a sound wave moves on a small scale, probably a fraction of a millimeter, because that's what produces the pressure variations. But the air doesn't move on a large scale. When you talk to someone, the air next to your lips doesn't end up next to your listener's ears. Unless you're very close to your listener, that is! :biggrin:

thanks jtbell!
I think I am cleared up now.

1. What are sound waves?

Sound waves are a type of mechanical wave that travel through a medium, such as air, water, or solid objects. They are created by vibrations or disturbances in the medium and can be perceived by the human ear.

2. How do sound waves travel?

Sound waves travel in a longitudinal motion, meaning the particles of the medium vibrate parallel to the direction of the wave's movement. This allows the sound wave to propagate through the medium, carrying energy and information with it.

3. What factors affect the speed of sound waves?

The speed of sound waves is affected by the properties of the medium it is traveling through, such as density, elasticity, and temperature. In general, sound waves travel faster in denser and more elastic mediums, and slower in colder temperatures.

4. How is the pitch of a sound wave determined?

The pitch of a sound wave is determined by its frequency, which is the number of vibrations or cycles per second. Higher frequencies correspond to higher pitches, while lower frequencies correspond to lower pitches.

5. Can sound waves travel through a vacuum?

No, sound waves cannot travel through a vacuum because they require a medium to propagate. In a vacuum, there are no particles for the sound wave to vibrate and carry the energy, so it cannot travel.