Radial Probability: Finding Max Distance From Proton for 2s State Electron

In summary, the most probable radius for an electron in a 2s state is where the radial probability is maximum.
b2386
Question: What is the most probable distance from the proton of an electron in a 2s state?

Answer: The most probable radius is where the radial probability is maximum. We are given [tex]R_{2,0}(r)=\frac{1}{(2a_0)^{3/2}}2(1-\frac{r}{2a_0})e^\frac{-r}{2a_0} so we have[/tex]

[tex]P(r) = r^2(R_{2,0}(r))^2=r^2[\frac{1}{(2a_0)^{3/2}}2(1-\frac{r}{2a_0})e^\frac{-r}{2a_0}]^2[/tex]

[tex]= \frac{4}{(2a_0)^3}(r^2)(1-\frac{r}{a_0}+\frac{r^2}{4(a_0)^2})(e^{\frac{-r}{a_0}})[/tex]

To find the maximum, we set the derivative to zero. The normalization constant of [tex]\frac{4}{(2a_0)^3}[/tex] may be ignored.

At this point, I take the derivative and set it to zero. However, I end up with a 4th degree polynomial.

I know the answer is [tex]5a_0[/tex] or close to that, but when plugging that value into my derivative, I cannot get the solution to equal zero as needed. Can someone please offer some help on where my problem lies?

Physics news on Phys.org
Every term in the derivative has a factor of r times the exponential, so it reduces to a cubic. Cubics can be solved, and in the old days we did that sort of thing. Now there are graphing calculators to help you. If you can use the calculator, graph the function and find the max at around 5.23 a_o. If not, look up the cubic solution methods.

4th degree polynomials can also be solved. A graphing calculator seems a poor way to solve a problem that admits a closed form solution.

loom91 said:
4th degree polynomials can also be solved. A graphing calculator seems a poor way to solve a problem that admits a closed form solution.
There is nothing poor about using tools to solve problems. There is something poor about being ignorantly dependent on them, a deplorable condition that does seem rather pervasive these days. I agree with you that knowledge of the behavior of polynomials is more than worthwhile. But I don't think it is necessary to go back to the potentailly tedious calculations involved every time you need to solve one of them. If use of the tool is acceptable in the context of the coursework the OP is engaged in, perhaps their time is better spent learning more physics

1. What is radial probability?

Radial probability is a measure of the likelihood of finding an electron at a certain distance from the nucleus of an atom.

2. How is radial probability calculated?

Radial probability is calculated using the Schrödinger equation, which takes into account the electron's energy, potential energy, and wavefunction to determine its probability of being at a particular distance from the nucleus.

3. What is the significance of finding the maximum distance from the proton for a 2s state electron?

The maximum distance from the proton for a 2s state electron is known as the Bohr radius, and it represents the average distance between the electron and the nucleus in a hydrogen atom. This value is important in understanding the atomic structure and properties of elements.

4. How does the radial probability change for different energy levels?

The radial probability generally decreases as the energy level increases, meaning that higher energy electrons are less likely to be found closer to the nucleus. This is due to the increasing repulsion between the negatively charged electron and the positively charged nucleus at higher energy levels.

5. Can the radial probability be used to determine the exact location of an electron?

No, the radial probability only gives the likelihood of finding an electron at a certain distance from the nucleus. It does not provide information about the exact location of the electron, as its position is described by a probability distribution rather than a specific point.