The sociology of physics: Gravity's Shadow

In summary, Harry Collins' book "Gravity's Shadow" is an 864 page book on gravity waves that is hard to put down. The author provides fascinating insight into the sociology of physics and the difference between belief and what is written in papers. The book also discusses the foundations of physics and how they are defended. Additionally, the author has given a seminar on "Interactional expertise" using his interactions with the gravity wave community.
CarlB
Science Advisor
Homework Helper
It's not everyday that I find an 864 page book hard to put down, but I've been really engrossed in Harry Collins' book on gravity waves (theory and experiment) titled "Gravity's Shadow":

https://www.amazon.com/dp/0226113787/?tag=pfamazon01-20

Part of this is because I took two classes from Joe Weber, but mostly this is because of his fascinating insight into the sociology of physics. The difference between why people believe things and what they write down in their papers. What a game!

If anyone thinks that the foundations of physics are not well defended, think again.

Last edited by a moderator:
Physics news on Phys.org
CarlB said:
What a game!

Sounds interesting, Carl. If I see a copy somewhere I'll make sure to steal/borrow it.

:smile:

He recently gave an interesting seminar on "Interactional expertise"
http://google.com/search?q="Interactional+expertise"
using his interactions with the gravity wave community. If I find time, I'll take a look at his book.

1. What is the sociology of physics?

The sociology of physics is a branch of sociology that studies the social and cultural factors that influence the development and practice of physics. It examines how social structures, institutions, and interactions shape the production of scientific knowledge and how scientists themselves are influenced by the societies in which they live and work.

2. How does the sociology of physics relate to gravity's shadow?

Gravity's shadow is a term used to describe the invisible force of gravity that shapes our understanding of the universe. The sociology of physics looks at how this force and our understanding of it are influenced by social and cultural factors, such as historical context, political power, and scientific institutions.

3. What are the main theories in the sociology of physics?

Some of the main theories in the sociology of physics include the social construction of science, which argues that scientific knowledge is shaped by social factors, and the sociology of scientific knowledge, which examines how scientific theories are socially constructed and validated.

4. How does the sociology of physics impact the practice of physics?

The sociology of physics has a significant impact on the practice of physics by highlighting the social and cultural biases that may influence scientific research and discovery. It encourages scientists to critically examine their own biases and consider how societal structures may shape their work.

5. What are some current research topics in the sociology of physics?

Some current research topics in the sociology of physics include the impact of gender and race on the production of scientific knowledge, the role of social networks in scientific collaboration, and the influence of funding and economic factors on scientific research and innovation.