Bullet hits door, find angular velocity

In summary, the conversation discusses the calculation of the angular velocity of a door after being struck by a bullet. Two attempts are made using conservation of energy and momentum, with the second attempt being successful in using the moment of inertia of a thin rod to calculate the angular velocity. The final answer is found to be zero due to the door being locked and held in place by a latch.
aliaze1
Unfortunately I was absent when a similar example was done in class...

Homework Statement

A 10 g bullet traveling at 400 m/s strikes a 10 kg, 1.0-m-wide door at the edge opposite the hinge. The bullet embeds itself in the door, causing the door to swing open.

What is the angular velocity of the door just after impact?

Homework Equations

0.5mV^2
0.5Iω^2
v = ωr

The Attempt at a Solution

Attempt #1:

I considered the bullet as a particle in linear motion. After collision I considered the mass of the door to be (M = Mdoor+Mbullet). I set up the problem like so:

0.5mv^2 = 0.5Iω^2

the 0.5 is a constant so it cancels..

mv^2 = Iω^2
*note* small 'm' is mass of the bullet, big 'M' is for the door, same goes for 'v' and 'V'

Then I plugged in the moment of inertia I, which is given in a table as 1/3ML^2

the width of the door is 1m, so the L^2 is simply 1

so putting this into the equation, I get:

mv^2 = (1/3M)ω^2

and rearranging and solving for ω, I get:

ω = √[(mv^2)/(1/3M)]|
(square root)

this did not work...Attempt #2:

I tried to find the linear velocity by using just conservation of linear energy

0.5mV^2 = 0.5MV^2

0.5 cancel, so it is mv^2 = MV^2 and find the linear velocity as so:

V = √((mv^2)/M)|

and then using V = ωr, I solved for ω

but still incorrect...

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
pic

Here is an image I made on paint, this is the way I see it, bird's eye view...

http://photo.ringo.com/210/210049338O350481129.jpg

here is the link if it doesn't come up for some reason

http://photo.ringo.com/210/210049338O350481129.jpg"

http://photo.ringo.com/210/210049338O350481129.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:
when you right 1/3M is that M/3? In any event, I think momenta is what should be conserved.

Last edited:
yes, this is the moment of inertia: 1/3 ML^2

but L is 1, so L^2 = 1 and therefore it is 1/3 M, or as you stated, M/3

conservation of momentum would be the way to go here.

The alternate answer is zero, because the door is locked and the latch holds

lol

door locked, nice one haha

ok ill try conservation of momentum

so do i do the bullet as linear momentum, and the door as rotational

so it would be:

mv = rMω

?

WOOT WOOT!

Got it!

i used conservation of momentum:

mv = Iω (found this part in the txtbook)

and I is given as 1/3ML^2 for a 'thin rod about side'

thanks!

1. How does a bullet hitting a door affect its angular velocity?

When a bullet hits a door, it transfers its momentum and energy to the door, causing it to rotate. This rotation is known as the angular velocity and is influenced by factors such as the bullet's mass, velocity, and angle of impact.

2. What is the formula for calculating the angular velocity of a door after being hit by a bullet?

The formula for angular velocity is ω = v/r, where ω represents the angular velocity, v is the tangential velocity, and r is the distance from the center of rotation. In the case of a door being hit by a bullet, v and r can be calculated using the bullet's linear velocity and the distance from the impact point to the door's center.

3. Can the angular velocity of a door be determined if the bullet's trajectory is known?

Yes, the angular velocity of a door can be calculated if the bullet's trajectory is known. This can be done by using the law of conservation of angular momentum, which states that the total angular momentum before and after impact must be equal. By knowing the bullet's trajectory and the door's moment of inertia, the angular velocity can be determined.

4. What factors can affect the angular velocity of a door after being hit by a bullet?

The angular velocity of a door after being hit by a bullet can be influenced by various factors, such as the bullet's mass, velocity, angle of impact, and the door's moment of inertia. Other factors that may affect the angular velocity include the door's material and its structural integrity.

5. Can the angular velocity of a door be used to determine the caliber of the bullet that hit it?

No, the angular velocity of a door alone cannot be used to determine the caliber of the bullet that hit it. Other factors such as the bullet's mass, velocity, and angle of impact must also be considered. Additionally, the door's material and structural integrity can affect the angular velocity, making it an unreliable method for determining the bullet's caliber.