Analyzing Simple Harmonic Motion in a Bifilar Pendulum Experiment

infinit
Could someone please give me an overview of how I get from measuring the time taken for x oscillations and the distance of the rod, to proving it moves with simple harmonic motion? I know i have to plot t--d^-1 on a graph, then using the gradient (td) i need to do some maths magic to get either an equation linking acceleration to velocity or displacement (to prove the motion is simple harmonic).

the setup is like this http://www.egglescliffe.org.uk/physics/gravitation/bifilar/Image7.gif but i don't understand the rest of the experiment he has done...

Physics news on Phys.org
please... ?

I think you could try to compute the potential energy as a function of the angular displacement. You simply (...well, I didn't try it, I don't know how simple it is) have to find the height of the center of mass with a bit of trigonometry.

If the energy is quadratic in phi (or nearly quadratic for small phi), the motion is harmonic (anyone correct me if I'm wrong).

What is a bifilar pendulum experiment?

A bifilar pendulum experiment is an experiment that involves suspending a pendulum from two parallel threads, also known as filaments, instead of one. This allows for more precise measurements of the pendulum's motion and can be used to study the effects of different variables on the pendulum's period and amplitude.

What are the variables that can affect a bifilar pendulum's motion?

The variables that can affect a bifilar pendulum's motion include the length of the threads, the mass of the pendulum, the angle of release, and the amplitude of the pendulum's swing. These variables can be manipulated in the experiment to observe their effects on the pendulum's period and amplitude.

How does the length of the threads affect the pendulum's motion in a bifilar pendulum experiment?

The length of the threads can affect the pendulum's motion in a bifilar pendulum experiment by changing the distance between the pendulum's pivot point and its center of mass. This can alter the pendulum's moment of inertia, which affects its period. Longer threads result in a longer period, while shorter threads result in a shorter period.

What is the equation for determining the period of a bifilar pendulum?

The equation for determining the period of a bifilar pendulum is T = 2π√(I/mgd), where T is the period, I is the moment of inertia, m is the mass of the pendulum, g is the acceleration due to gravity, and d is the distance between the pivot point and the center of mass.

What are some applications of bifilar pendulum experiments?

Bifilar pendulum experiments have various applications in physics, engineering, and other fields. They can be used to determine the acceleration due to gravity, study the effects of air resistance on pendulum motion, and investigate the properties of different materials. They are also commonly used in educational settings to demonstrate concepts such as periodic motion, harmonic motion, and the relationship between variables in a system.