The gas giants in Solar system

In summary: It's pretty interesting.In summary, Saturn is the only gas giant in the Solar system that possesses magnificent rings, which are as old as the solar system itself. The reason for Saturn having such a large ring system is still unknown, but it is believed that it may not be dynamically stable and will only last for a few hundred million years. Recent research suggests that the rings are as old as the solar system.
pixel01
Of the four gas giants in the Solar system, only Saturn possesses very magnificient rings. I have just read that the rings are as old as the solar system themselves.
My question is why did only Saturn create (or receive) those rings? Is there anything to do with the side of the gas giants?

Astronomy news on Phys.org
pixel01 said:
Of the four gas giants in the Solar system, only Saturn possesses very magnificient rings. I have just read that the rings are as old as the solar system themselves.
My question is why did only Saturn create (or receive) those rings? Is there anything to do with the side of the gas giants?
All four gas giants in the solar system have rings.

I think the OP is probably wondering why Saturn has such a large ring system, as opposed to something like Jupiter's halo ring.

Anyways, I remember hearing somewhere that Saturn's rings aren't dynamically stable; that they will only last for a few hundred million years or so and we're lucky to be around for them. I was going to say that perhaps they are replenished by activity like the water eruptions on Enceladus, but (mass of rings) >> (mass of Enceladus).

DaveC426913 said:
All four gas giants in the solar system have rings.

I know that. They have (almost) the same original, but the rings are so different !.

FTL_Diesel said:
I think the OP is probably wondering why Saturn has such a large ring system, as opposed to something like Jupiter's halo ring.

Anyways, I remember hearing somewhere that Saturn's rings aren't dynamically stable; that they will only last for a few hundred million years or so and we're lucky to be around for them. I was going to say that perhaps they are replenished by activity like the water eruptions on Enceladus, but (mass of rings) >> (mass of Enceladus).
Recent research suggests they are as old as the solar system :
http://www.space.com/news/ap-071213-saturn-ringage.html
and that's why I asked this question.

Last edited:
My point was simply that they are more the same than they are different. Their difference is merely a matter of degree.

Yes, I read about the new speculation as to their age.

What are the gas giants in our Solar System?

The gas giants in our Solar System are Jupiter, Saturn, Uranus, and Neptune. They are also known as the Jovian planets.

What is the composition of the gas giants?

The gas giants are primarily composed of hydrogen and helium, similar to the composition of the Sun. They also contain small amounts of methane, ammonia, and water vapor.

How are the gas giants different from the terrestrial planets?

The gas giants are much larger in size and have a low density due to their gaseous composition. They also have no solid surfaces and lack a well-defined boundary between their atmosphere and interior.

What is the Great Red Spot on Jupiter?

The Great Red Spot is a persistent anticyclonic storm on Jupiter that has been observed for over 300 years. It is believed to be a high-pressure system that is twice the size of Earth.

Do the gas giants have any moons?

Yes, the gas giants have a significant number of moons. Jupiter has 79 known moons, Saturn has 82, Uranus has 27, and Neptune has 14. Some of these moons are even larger than the terrestrial planets.