Gravity, action and an equal and opposite reaction

In summary, the conversation is about the fascination with math and self-teaching algebra and physics. The question posed is about the equal and opposite reaction to gravity, specifically what keeps the Earth from being pulled into the sun. The answer given is that the Earth pulls back on the sun and is also moving at a certain speed around the sun, creating a circular orbit. A resource is also provided for further information.
lneilson
hi all
for whatever reason in the last 5 years I've become fasinated with math I have
absolutely no formal training at all I am teaching myself algebra at the moment and
hope I can progress eventually into physics

Now for my question (no laughing please)

For every action there is an equal and opposite reaction

if this law is true and gravity is the action
what is the opposite reaction I'm not thinking
like drop a ball and it bounces back up, but that
were in orbit around the sun because of gravational pull
what is the opposite reaction that stops us from being
pulled all the to the sun

no laughing

thanks

lneilson

Physics news on Phys.org
Well in fact, as ridiculous and beautiful as it sounds, the Earth pulls ever so slightly back on the sun and even your body pulls back on the earth. Given the huge mass differences however, it goes for the most part unnoticed.

I may have misunderstood the last part of your question, but I believe you asked what keeps us from being pulled into the sun. The Earth is moving at a certain speed around the sun. Think of the Earth as "falling around" the sun, such that by the time the Earth would have been pulled directly and landed on the surface of the sun, it has moved enough forward to avoid contact. This is what gives the effect of circular orbit.

1. What is gravity?

Gravity is a natural phenomenon by which all objects with mass are brought towards each other. It is one of the four fundamental forces of nature and is responsible for keeping planets in orbit around the sun, as well as the moon around the Earth.

2. How does gravity work?

Gravity works by exerting a force of attraction between two objects with mass. The strength of this force depends on the mass of the objects and the distance between them. The closer the objects are, the stronger the force of gravity between them.

3. What is action and reaction in relation to gravity?

According to Newton's Third Law of Motion, for every action, there is an equal and opposite reaction. In the case of gravity, the action is the gravitational force that an object exerts on another object, and the reaction is the equal and opposite force that the second object exerts on the first.

4. How does an equal and opposite reaction affect objects?

An equal and opposite reaction is essential for objects to maintain balance and stability. In the case of gravity, it is this reaction force that keeps objects in orbit around each other. Without it, objects would either crash into each other or fly off into space.

5. Can gravity be manipulated or canceled out?

Gravity is a natural force that cannot be manipulated or canceled out. However, we can use other forces, such as thrust from rockets, to counteract the effects of gravity and achieve space travel. Additionally, the force of gravity can be weakened or strengthened by changing the mass or distance of objects.