Magnetic Field inside and external to a wire

In summary, the conversation discussed the derivation of an expression for the magnetic field at two different radial distances, r1 and r2, for a wire of radius R with a current density of J = br. The summary provided two possible answers for the magnetic field at these distances, one being B = (u*b*r1^2)/2 and the other being B = (u*b*R^3)/(2*r2). However, the actual answer is B = (u*b*r1^2)/3 for r1 and B = (u*b*R^3)/(3*r2) for r2, which was obtained through integration for increments of I.
Gear300
I again bring a question: If a wire of radius R carries a current density J = br (r is radius and b is a constant), in which J = I/A (A is area)...then derive an expression for the magnetic field at r1 (r1 being a radial distance less than R) and at r2 (r2 being a radial distance greater than R).

My answer at r1 is B = (u*b*r1^2)/2 and at r2 is B = (u*b*R^3)/(2*r2), in which u is the permeability of free space.
The actual answer at r1 is B = (u*b*r1^2)/3 and for r2 is B = (u*b*R^3)/(3*r2)...which seem to match my answers...just instead of halving each one...its divided by 3...how did they get that?

Physics news on Phys.org
Actually...nevermind...I found out why...I apparently had to integrate for increments of I.

There are a few factors that could have led to the discrepancy between your answer and the actual answer for the magnetic field inside and outside a wire.

Firstly, it is important to note that the expression for the magnetic field inside and outside a wire is derived using the Biot-Savart Law, which is based on an idealized scenario of an infinitely long straight wire. In reality, wires have finite lengths and may also have bends or curves, which can affect the magnetic field distribution.

Additionally, the current density in a wire is not constant throughout its cross-sectional area. The current density is typically highest at the center of the wire and decreases towards the edges. This non-uniform current distribution can also affect the magnetic field strength at different radial distances.

Furthermore, the expression for the magnetic field at a particular radial distance is also dependent on the chosen reference point. The Biot-Savart Law assumes that the reference point is located at infinity, which may not always be the case in practical scenarios.

It is possible that your calculations may have considered a different reference point or a slightly different scenario, leading to a slight discrepancy in the results. However, the fact that your answers are in the same ballpark as the actual answers suggests that your understanding of the concept is correct, and any discrepancies can be attributed to minor differences in assumptions and calculations.

1. What is a magnetic field?

A magnetic field is an invisible force that surrounds a magnet or a wire carrying electric current. It is responsible for the attraction or repulsion between magnets and the deflection of electric charges in a wire.

2. How is a magnetic field created inside a wire?

A magnetic field is created inside a wire when an electric current flows through it. The moving electric charges create a circular magnetic field around the wire, with the direction of the field determined by the direction of the current.

3. How does the strength of the magnetic field inside a wire vary?

The strength of the magnetic field inside a wire depends on the amount of current flowing through the wire. The stronger the current, the stronger the magnetic field will be. The distance from the wire also affects the strength of the magnetic field, with the field becoming weaker as you move further away from the wire.

4. Can a magnetic field exist outside of a wire?

Yes, a magnetic field can exist outside of a wire. The strength of the field decreases as you move further away from the wire, but it can still have an impact on nearby objects. This external magnetic field is also affected by the direction and strength of the current flowing through the wire.

5. How can the direction of a magnetic field be determined?

The direction of a magnetic field can be determined using the "right-hand rule". If you point your right thumb in the direction of the current, then your curled fingers will show the direction of the magnetic field. Alternatively, if you have a compass, the north pole of the compass needle will point in the direction of the magnetic field.