Collision Reaction: Mass Difference & Speed Exchange

In summary, Hootenanny said that if the masses of the balls are the same, then the balls will exchange their speed after a collision. However, if the masses are different then the speed after the collision will be different.
hadari
Hello,
I have a question about how balls react on collision while having diffrent mass,
lets say two balls are moving on one dimension, the first ball has the speed of V1, mass of M1, and the other ball has V2,M2.
what will be their speed after the collision?
assuming there are no other forces involved.
It is logical to me that if their mass is the same, the balls will exchange their speed, but I don't know what will happen if the balls will be with diffrent mass.

Physics news on Phys.org
Welcome to PF hadari,

If one assumes that the collision is completely elastic then both momentum and kinetic energy are conserved and the problem can be solved.

If one assumes that the collision is completely inelastic then just momentum is conserved and the problem can be solved.

In the case where neither of the above apply then the problem cannot be solved without further information.

Thanks you solved all my problems :)

hadari said:
It is logical to me that if their mass is the same, the balls will exchange their speed, but I don't know what will happen if the balls will be with diffrent mass.

I am just curious to know on what you based this conclusion, because you didn't mention anything about the co-eff of restitution or consvn of KE.

Last edited:
I didn't mention "co-eff of restitution or consvn of KE" because I don't know what any of those means, I don't know much about physics, I'm a programmer and just wanted to build a physics engine for a project I have. That conclusion was based on intuition only.

Hootenanny has replied to you qualitatively, without going into any math. Could you really understand everything about collision of balls from that?

(Please ignore this post if you feel that it is not productive for you to continue with this discussion.)

What is a collision reaction?

A collision reaction is a physical event where two objects come into contact with each other and exchange energy and/or momentum.

What factors affect the outcome of a collision reaction?

The mass difference and speed of the objects involved are the two main factors that affect the outcome of a collision reaction. Other factors may include the angle of impact and the elasticity of the objects.

How does the mass difference affect a collision reaction?

The mass difference between the two objects determines how much energy and momentum will be transferred during the collision. The larger the mass difference, the greater the exchange of energy and momentum.

What is the speed exchange in a collision reaction?

The speed exchange refers to the change in velocity of the objects involved in a collision. In an elastic collision, the speed exchange is equal for both objects, while in an inelastic collision, the speed exchange may differ depending on the mass and elasticity of the objects.

What are some real-world examples of collision reactions?

Some common examples of collision reactions include car crashes, billiard balls colliding, and objects falling to the ground. These events involve the exchange of energy and momentum between two or more objects.