How do I determine volume of salt water mixture before mixing?

In summary, when salt and water are mixed, the overall volume decreases by 2.5%. It is not clear if this decrease is relative to the original volume of the water or both the water and salt. There are no straightforward methods to calculate the final volume of a salt-water mixture, but researching partial molar volume and using density tables can provide some insight. Additionally, finding the % w/w concentration and using density tables can help determine the final volume from known total mass and density.
techphets
I read that when salt and water are mixed that the overall volume decreases by 2.5% (I'm not sure if this is relative to the original volume of the water or both the water and the salt). I'm not sure why this is the case and am interested in that.

Moreover, I'd like to know how one would calculate the final volume of such a mixture. I know one person who believed if a gallon of salt was dumped into 100 gallons of water that the final volume would be 101 gallons. I also know a different person who believed the final volume would be 100.

Are there straightforward ways to calculate things like this? I remember doing calculations with mols in college but I'm not sure if we ever worked on mixture volumes.

Thanks,

techphets

Chemistry news on Phys.org
techphets said:
I read that when salt and water are mixed that the overall volume decreases by 2.5% (I'm not sure if this is relative to the original volume of the water or both the water and the salt). I'm not sure why this is the case and am interested in that.

Moreover, I'd like to know how one would calculate the final volume of such a mixture. I know one person who believed if a gallon of salt was dumped into 100 gallons of water that the final volume would be 101 gallons. I also know a different person who believed the final volume would be 100.

Are there straightforward ways to calculate things like this? I remember doing calculations with mols in college but I'm not sure if we ever worked on mixture volumes.

Thanks,

techphets

Volumes don't add. If you had a barrel of BBs and a barrel of baseballs would you get two barrels full of stuff if you poured the BBs into the baseballs? Of course not since the BBs could fit in between the baseballs.

I'd expect the volume of the salt water to be less than 100 gallons since the water molecules are going to solvate sodium and chloride ions (they will simply be held closer together). As for a straight forward calculation-- none that I know of off the top of my head.

techphets said:

Thanks,

techphets

I remember a lab in college where we had to investigate such concepts with ethanol and water. You are going to want to research the topic of partial molar volume.

http://www.stetson.edu/~wgrubbs/datadriven/fchen/bartender/partialmolarvolumechen.html

The only reasonable practical approach is to use density tables. Each solution is different, density changes are different and they are quite often non-linear.

Simplest approach to calculation of the final volume is to find % w/w concentration (this is volume independent), check density tables to see what density this solution have, then to calculate volume from known total mass and density.

1. How do I measure the volume of salt water mixture?

In order to determine the volume of a salt water mixture, you will need to use a graduated cylinder or beaker. First, fill the container with the desired amount of water. Then, slowly add salt to the water while stirring until it is fully dissolved. Finally, measure the volume of the mixture in the graduated cylinder or beaker.

2. Can I use a regular measuring cup to determine the volume of salt water mixture?

While a measuring cup can give you a rough estimate of the volume, it is not as accurate as using a graduated cylinder or beaker. This is because a measuring cup does not have precise markings for measuring small increments of volume.

3. How does the salt affect the volume of the water?

Salt has a higher density than water, which means it takes up less volume for the same mass. When you add salt to water, the volume of the mixture will decrease slightly due to the added mass of the salt.

4. Is there a specific ratio of salt to water that I should use?

The ratio of salt to water in a mixture can vary depending on the desired concentration. However, a common ratio for a saltwater solution is 1 teaspoon of salt per 1 cup of water. It is important to keep in mind that the volume of the mixture will change depending on the amount of salt added.

5. Can I use a digital scale to determine the volume of the salt water mixture?

No, a digital scale measures mass, not volume. This means it cannot accurately determine the volume of a mixture. It is best to use a graduated cylinder or beaker for measuring the volume of a salt water mixture.