XRD Scherrer Equation -- need explanation

In summary, the conversation discusses the use of the Scherrer equation to calculate the radius of a nanoparticle using XRD measurement results. The equation includes a shape factor represented by ##K##, with a typical value between 0.9 and 1. The value of ##K## is further explained in a published paper from 1918.
physicist888
Hi everybody
Actually i need to calculate a cristallite nanoparticles size by using my XRD measurement results. I looked in some sites and published papers, folks are used an equation called Scherrer equation to calculate the radius of a nanoparticle. I've found in an another forum this informations [ Crystallite Size = (K * L) / (FWHM x Cos(theta)) K is the shape factor of the average crystallite (expected shape factor is 0.9). L is the wavelength (usually 1.54056 Å for Cu K(alpha)sub1, and theta is the peak position.] . I hope that someone can verify those informations for me and explain what does the Lettre K represent ( what value should i use for K) .

Thanks for your attention

Physics news on Phys.org

1. What is the XRD Scherrer equation?

The XRD Scherrer equation is a mathematical formula used to calculate the size of crystalline particles based on the broadening of peaks in X-ray diffraction (XRD) patterns. It takes into account factors such as the wavelength of X-rays, the angle of diffraction, and the full-width half-maximum of the peak.

2. Why is the XRD Scherrer equation important?

The XRD Scherrer equation is important because it allows scientists to determine the size of crystalline particles in a sample, which can provide valuable information about the material's properties and behavior. This equation is commonly used in materials science, chemistry, and geology research.

3. How is the XRD Scherrer equation derived?

The XRD Scherrer equation is derived from the Scherrer formula, which was developed by Swiss physicist Gustav A. Scherrer in 1918. It was later modified by Warren in 1939 to include a shape factor, making it more accurate for non-spherical particles. The equation is based on the principles of X-ray diffraction and the Bragg equation.

4. How accurate is the XRD Scherrer equation?

The accuracy of the XRD Scherrer equation depends on several factors, such as the quality of the diffraction data, the shape and composition of the particles, and the assumptions made in the calculation. In general, the equation provides a reasonable estimation of particle size, but it is not always accurate for all types of materials.

5. What are the limitations of the XRD Scherrer equation?

One limitation of the XRD Scherrer equation is that it assumes the particles are spherical and randomly oriented. This may not be the case for all materials, leading to inaccurate results. Additionally, the equation does not take into account the effects of strain and defects in the crystal structure, which can also impact the peak broadening in XRD patterns.