Latent heat of fusion/latent heat of vaporization

In summary, the conversation discusses finding the latent heat using a graph and given information about the rate of heat delivery and time. It is suggested to divide the rate multiplied by the time for the latent heat of vaporization by the rate multiplied by the time for the latent heat of fusion. The conversation concludes with a thank you.
jimbo71

Homework Statement

see attachment

Homework Equations

The Attempt at a Solution

I think I would divide the approximate slope from the beggining by the approximate slope at the end but I'm not sure if that is correct. Also, I do not know how to come up with a number answer.

Attachments

• 11.jpg
    11.jpg
    40.1 KB · Views: 433
Physics news on Phys.org
Latent heat is the heat absorbed or released in going from one phase to another.

In you problem heat is delivered at a constant rate; call it R.
So the heat energy deilvered is equal to the product of this rate R and the time T.

The time taken for the latent heat of fusion is 2. This is the length of the lower flat part of the graph.
The time taken for the latent heat of vaporiation is 7. This is the length of the upper flat part of the graph.

Now divide R*7 by R*2.

There I've almost given you the answer.

ok thanks

1. What is meant by "latent heat of fusion"?

Latent heat of fusion is the amount of heat required to change a substance from a solid state to a liquid state at its melting point, without changing its temperature.

2. What is the difference between "latent heat of fusion" and "latent heat of vaporization"?

Latent heat of fusion is the heat required to change a substance from a solid to a liquid, while latent heat of vaporization is the heat required to change a substance from a liquid to a gas. Both processes involve a phase change without a change in temperature.

3. How is the latent heat of fusion/vaporization calculated?

The latent heat of fusion/vaporization can be calculated by dividing the amount of heat added or removed during the phase change by the mass of the substance.

4. Why do substances require latent heat to change phases?

When a substance changes phases, the molecules within the substance are rearranging themselves into a more stable state. In order to do this, they require energy, which is provided by the latent heat.

5. Why is the latent heat of fusion/vaporization important in everyday life?

The latent heat of fusion/vaporization is important in everyday life because it is involved in many processes, such as cooking, heating and cooling systems, and weather phenomena. It also plays a crucial role in the storage and transport of food and other materials that require specific temperature conditions.