What are the eigenvalues of a non-Hermitian operator?

In summary, we discussed the hermitian operator H and its property of having H^4 = 1. We explored the relationship between H and its eigenvalues, and how the number of eigenvalues is affected by whether or not H is restricted to being Hermitian. We also briefly touched on the role of powers in this question and the process for finding eigenvalues when H is not Hermitian. Finally, we mentioned that not all operators are guaranteed to be diagonalizable, but Hermitian and unitary operators are examples that are.
soul
Hi, everyone!

While I was studying for my midterm, I encountered this question.
------
Consider the hermitian operator H that has the property that
H4 = 1
What are the eigenvalues of the operator H?
What are the eigenvalues if H is not restricted to being Hermitian?
------

What I am going to ask is that does it matter this operator have a different power like H6 or H5? I mean what is the role of the power in this question? Also, I couldn't figure out that how I can find the eigenvalues of such operator when it is not Hermitian?

Thank you.

Physics news on Phys.org
Assume a finite dimensional vector space on which H acts. Can you write the characteristic equation for H ?

I think you can do it simple like this:

Let E be an eigenvector of H with eigenvalue e:

H E = e E

Then H^4 E = e H^3 E = e^2 H^2 E = ...

And use H^4 E = E since H^4 = 1.

This gives you an general equation for the eigenvalues. Now when H is hermitian the eigenvalues must be real, and this restricts the solutions to the equation obtained.

bigubau said:
Assume a finite dimensional vector space on which H acts. Can you write the characteristic equation for H ?

Isn't it H*[tex]\Psi[/tex] = E * [tex]\Psi[/tex]?

Also, can I say that since H^4 = 1, then one eigenvalue of it is 1 and if H were not a Hermitian operator, one eigenvalue would be i, since H^2 = -1 or 1?

Let me just post the solution, u are very close anyway:

Let E be an eigenvector of H with eigenvalue e:

H E = e E

Then we have:

H^4 E = e H^3 E = e^2 H^2 E = e^3 H E = e^4 E.

You simply let one H act on E in each step.

Since you have H^4 = 1 we have:

H^4 E = E = e^4 E.

So all you need to solve is:

e^4 = 1.

If H is hermitian it has 4 solutions. But if H is not Hermitian the complex eigenvalues are ruled out and you only have the real solutions.

Student111, thanks for your answer, but I guess H has 2 values if H is hermitian, if it isn't, it has 4?

exactly, i mistyped.

Nonhermitian: 1, -1, i, -i.

And only 1,-1 if it is hermitian.

soul said:
... I couldn't figure out that how I can find the eigenvalues of such operator when it is not Hermitian?
That's a good thing. Not all operators are guarunteed to be diagnonalizable, but Hermitian is an example that is. Of course, since a power of the operator is unity (i.e. the identity operator), they are hinting that H is at least unitary, which is also diagonalizable.

1. What are eigenvalues of an operator?

Eigenvalues of an operator are the special values that satisfy the equation Av = λv, where A is the operator, v is the eigenvector, and λ is the eigenvalue. In other words, eigenvalues represent the scalar values that correspond to the eigenvectors of an operator.

2. How do eigenvalues relate to eigenvectors?

Eigenvalues and eigenvectors are closely related. Eigenvectors are the special vectors that are transformed only by a scalar value when multiplied by an operator. The corresponding eigenvalue represents the amount by which the eigenvector is scaled or stretched by the operator.

3. Why are eigenvalues important?

Eigenvalues play a crucial role in many areas of mathematics and science, including linear algebra, quantum mechanics, and signal processing. They provide useful information about the behavior and properties of operators, and can be used to solve various problems and equations.

4. How do you calculate eigenvalues?

The process of finding eigenvalues of an operator involves solving the characteristic equation det(A - λI) = 0, where A is the operator and I is the identity matrix. This equation results in a polynomial, and the solutions to this polynomial are the eigenvalues of the operator. There are various methods for calculating eigenvalues, such as the power method, the inverse iteration method, and the QR algorithm.

5. Can an operator have more than one eigenvalue?

Yes, an operator can have multiple eigenvalues. In fact, most operators have more than one eigenvalue and corresponding eigenvector. However, the number of eigenvalues is limited by the dimension of the vector space in which the operator operates. For example, a 3x3 matrix can have a maximum of three eigenvalues.