Building a Generator to Power Home: Questions and Answers

• Thread starter livingbios
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Generator
In summary, the person is asking for advice on how to build an inverter that can output 5kw. They say they have a schematic for one, but it only outputs 1kw. They are also looking for advice on running the inverter in parallel. If someone could provide them with a schematic, that would be great.
livingbios
hey all :)

i'm completely new to the electrical game, but I'm very interested in this, however only as a hobby. I'm doing my best to learn as much about this as possible so please excuse my stupid questions.

ok so I'm interested in building a generator to power my home in case of outages. i could buy one, but it'd be much more fun to build one, right? :biggrin: ok i already have everything designed, but i will be using a dc alternator so I'm going to need to convert this to ac obviously. so I'm going to use a power inverter to accomplish this (unless there is another way?). since it's going to be hand built i would like to try to build one of these as well. I've already found a schematic for this, but the max output from this particular design is 1kw. I'm looking for an output of ~5kw, the more the merrier though. my question is, could i run these inverters in parallel to achieve this? maybe somebody can provide me with a schematic to build a larger inverter if not. like i said, i have no idea about any of this really, but i would like to do this. another question i have is that if i was to just buy a large inverter, i would obviously have to run a larger wire for the input, but how much larger?

any insight, advice and direction is much appreciated.

Engineering news on Phys.org
Running inverters in parallel is possible if you synchronise them. If you are off by a few degrees in phase, then you can blow them up.

Building a 5kw inverter is a different ball game. You have blow the schematic of a 1 kw inverter out of proportions. If are you new to electronics I wouldn't attempt building such an inverter as a first project. Here is a list of different wire gauges, and how many amps they handle

http://www.powerstream.com/Wire_Size.htm

I would first like to commend your interest and determination to learn about electrical systems and building a generator for your home. It is always exciting to take on a new project and expand your knowledge in a particular field.

To answer your first question, yes, using a power inverter is a common way to convert the DC output of an alternator into AC for household use. However, there are other methods such as using a rectifier and transformer, or even building a custom AC generator from scratch. It ultimately depends on your skill level and resources.

Regarding your goal of achieving a 5kw output, it is possible to run multiple inverters in parallel, but it is not recommended. This can lead to synchronization issues and can be dangerous if not done properly. It would be better to build or purchase a single inverter with the desired output capacity. If you are set on building your own inverter, I would suggest looking for designs that have a higher output capacity or consulting with an electrician or experienced hobbyist for guidance.

In terms of wire size, it is important to follow the recommended gauge for the input current of your inverter. This can vary depending on the inverter's specifications, so be sure to check the manufacturer's guidelines. It is always better to err on the side of caution and use a slightly larger wire to avoid overheating and potential fire hazards.

Overall, I would highly recommend seeking guidance from experienced individuals or consulting reliable sources for building your generator. It is a complex and potentially dangerous project, and it is important to have a thorough understanding of electrical systems and safety precautions before proceeding. Good luck with your project!

1. How does a generator work?

A generator works by converting mechanical energy into electrical energy. It does this through the use of a fuel source, such as gasoline, which powers an engine that turns a rotor. The rotation of the rotor creates a magnetic field, which in turn induces an electrical current in the stator. This electrical current is then sent through wires to power electrical devices.

2. What are the different types of generators?

There are three main types of generators: portable, standby, and inverter. Portable generators are small and can be moved around, making them convenient for outdoor use or during power outages. Standby generators are larger and are permanently installed outside of a home or building, providing backup power during outages. Inverter generators are more modern and efficient, using advanced technology to produce clean and stable power.

3. How do I determine the size of generator I need for my home?

The size of generator you need for your home depends on your power requirements. To determine this, you will need to calculate the wattage of all the electrical devices you plan to power with the generator. This can be done by looking at the labels or manuals of the devices. Once you have the total wattage, add about 20% to account for any surges in power. This will give you the minimum wattage needed for your generator.

4. How do I properly maintain my generator?

To ensure your generator operates efficiently and reliably, it is important to perform regular maintenance. This includes changing the oil and filters, checking the spark plugs, and inspecting the fuel and air filters. It is also important to run the generator regularly, even if it is not being used, to keep the internal parts lubricated and prevent any build-up of debris. Be sure to follow the manufacturer's instructions for specific maintenance tasks and schedules.

5. Can I connect my generator directly to my home's electrical system?

No, it is not safe to connect a generator directly to your home's electrical system. This can cause backfeeding, where the generator sends power back into the utility lines, which can be dangerous for utility workers trying to restore power. Instead, it is recommended to use a transfer switch, which allows you to safely switch between generator power and utility power. It is important to have a licensed electrician install the transfer switch to ensure it is done correctly and safely.