Verifying the Radiating Long Solenoid with AC Current

In summary, the conversation revolved around the radiation produced by applying a sinusoidal current to a long solenoid. The speaker was looking for verification of their theoretical result and asked for either experimental results or a theoretical explanation. They also mentioned finding a paper on loop antennas and using a ferrite rod to improve reception for AM radio. They then asked about the difference between fields with and without radiation and discussed the use of fishing poles as antennas. The conversation ended with a suggestion to experiment with a quarter wave length of wire on a rod mounted over a ground plane.
sanjibghosh
Recently I found that, if I apply a sinusoidal current to a long solenoid I get a radiation from it. It is completely theoretical result. I want to verify whether my result is correct or not. For this verification I need either some experimental result or some theoretical explanation whether it is wrong or correct,if correct then why this is happening?
please ,please help.
please.

Physics news on Phys.org
Here is a paper on loop (solenoid) antennas, including estimate of radiation resistance..
http://sidstation.lionelloudet.homedns.org/antenna-theory-en.xhtml .
Put a ferrite rod in it and it works better for AM radio (~1 MHz).

Last edited by a moderator:
I got the point and also I found a paper on this topic in American Journal of Physics-1995. One thing I want to know, What the basic difference between the field with radiation and without radiation is.

It is also fairly common to use a long piece of tubing and wind a spiral of wire onto it to act as an antenna for vehicle use.
Such antennas resonate at much lower frequencies than the length of the antenna would otherwise allow.

Blank fishing poles made of fibreglass are commonly used and the wire is wound onto the fishing pole with some spacing between turns of wire. It is usually fed from a transmitter via a coaxial cable at the bottom.

These antennas are not very efficient at low frequencies but they do work.

Usually, the resonant frequency has to be found by experimentation but a good start is to wind on about one quarter wave length of wire onto the rod and then mount the rod over a flat metal surface (a ground plane) and test it for resonance and maximum radiation.

1. What is a long solenoid?

A long solenoid is a cylindrical coil of wire that is wound in a helical shape. It is used to create a uniform magnetic field along its axis when a current flows through it.

2. Why is it important to verify a long solenoid with AC current?

Verifying a long solenoid with AC current is important because it allows us to measure the electromagnetic properties of the solenoid, such as its inductance and impedance. This information is necessary for understanding its behavior and ensuring its proper functioning in various applications.

3. How is a long solenoid verified with AC current?

A long solenoid can be verified with AC current by connecting it to a power source that produces an alternating current. The solenoid's properties can then be measured using specialized equipment, such as an oscilloscope or a multimeter.

4. What factors can affect the accuracy of verifying a long solenoid with AC current?

Several factors can affect the accuracy of verifying a long solenoid with AC current, including the quality and consistency of the power source, the type and condition of the measuring equipment, and any external interference or noise.

5. What are the applications of a long solenoid?

A long solenoid has various applications, including in electromagnets, transformers, motors, and generators. It is also used in scientific experiments, such as creating a uniform magnetic field for particle accelerators.